Get to know each other

Start from the beginning

"Then make it yourself!".

"This is your house!".

"Ugh!" I snapped and got up. I walked into the kitchen and Kath looked pleased. I glared at her.

"Just make the food yourself Kath" I whined tired.

"I can't".

"Why not?".

"I can't cook".

I looked at her in disbelief. "That's a lie right?". She said nothing. "You spent all your life in the house and you didn't learn to cook?".

"I tried but my mother never let me. They said they didn't want me to get hurt" Kath defended. "The only thing I ever learn was how to make noodles,spaghetti and rice".

I slapped my forehead and sighed in disappointment. "Your parents took protectiveness to a whole new level".

"You have no idea" she muttered.

"Do you want to learn? I can teach you" I offered despite my grumpy attitude.

Kath turned to me with glowing eyes. "Really?".

"Yeah,I'm a chef" I said with pride. "It's my job".

"Cool" Katherine smiled. "It's not really part of my wishes but it is worth a shot. Now make me breakfast".

I smiled shaking my head. I felt happier in contrast to how I felt this morning. I realized I hadn't thought of Miriam since last night. It felt nice.

I made macaroni and stew,the stew was a bit spicy but Kath couldn't complain because she was hungry. I stared at her and decided to tease her.

"You know...what kind of woman doesn't know how to cook?" I smiled.

"Shut up" Kath snapped,she didn't seem to understand what I was doing. "there are many women out there who can't cook,it isn't a big deal".

"That is true but it is expected of a Nigerian woman to know how to cook" I said,my lips twitching and threatening to burst into laughter.

"Whatever" Katherine sulked. "I don't care,do you expect me to be like those typical Nigerian women who sacrifice their dreams for men who won't appreciate it,no way!".

I laughed. "I was just joking Kath. I won't judge you besides,it seems you have quite an opinion about men".

"Uh,well" Kath flushed. "I just don't like the ideas of men thinking women should be the ones at home,maintaining the house like housewives. I'd like it if women were able to achieve their dreams by working".

"I think you are still in the olden days Katherine. That doesn't happen anymore".

"It does but it's rare". Kath said following me. "I didn't really mean it like that anyways".

"I know now let me get dressed so we can do your shopping before you go all feminist on me" I teased,clicking my tongue at her.

She looked pretty embarrassed for some reason. "I am not a feminist!" She yelled as I walked into the room with a satisfied smile. Teasing her is so fun.

An hour later,I had dressed up and got my bike ready. Kath traced the edges of the bike and I suddenly felt worried.

"You know,I always wanted to learn how to ride a bike" she said staring at me hopefully. I knew there was a reason I was worried.

I laughed dryly then stopped. "Nice try. Not going to happen while i'm with you. I don't want you to get hurt and have your influential father want to hurt me more".