Chapter Ten

!Trigger Warning!
Homophobic slurs, homophobia, implied abuse

Sociopath- Stayloose, Ft. Bryce Fox
—————
Roman watched as Narcisa stepped down from the coach that brought her. The girl he might marry. He looked at his father, who glared back at him, then to Narcissa again as she approached him.

The girl looked about his age, she was fairly tall, with tan skin, long dark hair that went down to her waist, and a dress that screamed wealthy, not that he was really the right one to be judging her about that.
She nodded to him and curtsied, peering up at Roman with sunny yellow eyes. Her wings were fluffed out behind her and the feathers were as pale as freshly fallen snow.
He supposed she was pretty, but he didn't feel anything when he looked at her.

"Prince Roman," she greeted him. Her voice was harsh and pitchy, like nails on a chalkboard and there was a sharp tone to it that suggested she saw little in him. Narcisa followed him as they and the King went inside to the dining room for brunch, sitting down at the table piled with fruits and pastries as well as other delicacies. A servant each poured water into their glasses, and then each left one by one, the last taking a moment to check out Narcisa before walking out.

The king mostly made polite conversation, a fake cheery smile on his face that made Roman bitter. He could have tried like this the few times that Virgil came over. The prince ignored the two and picked at his food instead, a grimace plain on his face.
The meal trudged along for an hour or so before the sound of glass shattering and a dramatic gasp of offense jerked him from his thoughts.

He looked up sharply to see Narcisa standing up from her chair and looming over one of the much smaller waitresses, who cowered under her fiery gaze and frantically apologized.

"You klutz! You soaked my dress!" She screamed at the servant. Said girl looked about to burst into tears.
"You're a horrible waitress! Not to mention you've been staring at me all morning you disgusting fag!" The waitress flinched as Narcisa raised a hand as if to strike her, and Roman couldn't take it anymore. He rose from his chair.

"Narcisa! Don't speak to our staff like that, if you will!" He growled. The noble whipped around at Roman and smirked.

"So he speaks! About time!" She snarked, placing a hand on her hip. The servant took the chance to scurry away with a small whimper.

"I apologize for being standoffish, but that doesn't give you the right to be rude, that waitress was trying to apologize and you were about to hit her!"

"She deserved it! Did you see the way she looked at me?!"

"Enough!" King Romulus shouted, making the room fall silent. Roman expected his father to finally take his side, but his contemptuous gaze fell on him.
"That was incredibly foolish to disrespect Narcisa, she is our guest and your future wife!"
Roman froze at that word. Wife.
Narcisa smirked and crossed her arms, taking a seat one more while the prince got chewed out.

"I never agreed to marry anyone, let alone someone I am incapable of ever loving!" He cried, then pushed his chair back and fled the banquet, skirting around an onlooking servant.
He escaped the hall, fuming, and raced up the stairs and down the corridor to his bedchamber.
Narcisa was insufferably cruel, forget her gender. He couldn't marry someone with such a cold heart. Virgil was kind— he was thoughtful and never interrupted anyone or yelled at someone for making a mistake— he was perfect.
And just a friend. Roman thought quickly.
But he knew deep down that he wasn't really thinking that way.

There was a reason he had been perfectly fine back when King Romulus had allowed Virgil to be a suitor, even for that short month before he had picked someone else. There had been a reason he had instinctively leaned in closer to the demon just the day before when he had told Roman that he trusted him. The prince recalled that fuzzy feeling and clung to it for comfort as he sat on the floor of the balcony, breathing in the fresh air and wishing Virgil was beside him.
—————
Narcisa is pronounced Nar-siss-ah, for anyone wondering. It's a play off of Narcissus, both the Greek legend and the flower. Hope y'all hate her