Chapter One

When the Day Met the Night- Panic! At the Disco
—————
He could hear the murmurs of the crowd even from beyond the large, wooden doors that concealed the ballroom. Shoes slipped and whispered on the marble floors as they danced, a familiar sound. The peaceful noises were interrupted by the harsh clack of boots on tile.
Roman's head snapped up sharply and stood to meet his father, who stopped in front of him, his glare unwaveringly cold.

"Don't mess this up," the older man hissed, "allowing such sinful creatures into this palace is failure enough from you."
Roman nodded, trying to internalize the disappointment that must've been plain on his face. He knew that demons were not bad by nature, anyone could change, but his father couldn't seem to see past their outside appearances. Roman strode to the doors and took his place in the middle, waiting for them to open. On cue, they shifted and revealed him, and he stepped out into the ballroom. The light from the chandelier nearly blinded him after being in the comfortable darkness of the hallways.
He gave a wave and put a winning smile on his face as the crowd of angels and demons applauded. A voice announced his presence to the few that were unaware.

"His majesty, Prince Roman of The Midworld!"
Said man went to dissolve into the people, who happily and politely allowed him to join their group. He took his time dancing with angels and demons alike, but found himself unable to enjoy the night while his father's disproving face stared him down all the way from his seat off to one side.
Breaking away from a kind looking stranger, he crossed the floor to the exterior doors, which led him into the courtyard. Mostly couples and a few loners sat on benches and out on the lawn, gazing up at the stars or enjoying the music playing nearby.
One man had piqued the interest of a few girls, he was by the center fountain, candlelight casting shadows on his face. They caught each other's eye and the man dismissed the three talking to him, opting to wander over by Roman.

"Why aren't you mingling?" He mused, "there's so many good-looking bachelors and bachelorettes hanging around tonight— you do remember that's why Dad threw this party for you in the first place, right?"
Roman fought the urge to roll his eyes at his twin brother. Remus had always been a royal pain in the neck.

"I was talking to a few people, but it's hard to focus on finding someone interesting when Dad keeps glaring at me, it's as if he doesn't want me to have fun!" Roman said, throwing up his hands in exasperation.

"Oh he doesn't care if you're having fun or not, he just wants to make sure aren't talking with any demons," Remus replied, smirking unsympathetically, his unsettling green eyes boring through the other, "the last thing he wants is a demon on the throne next to you."
Roman scoffed and turned away, mumbling something incoherent before leaving his brother be. He was clearly no help. He took a seat on an empty bench next to the open gates and sighed audibly, needing a moment to himself before his inevitable return to the ballroom. The air had been tense throughout the party all night anyway, with the recent law put in place. It hadn't been Roman's idea to prohibit demons from being in places of power in The Midworld, but his father, Romulus's. King Romulus was known for his hatred of the species, but not even his own sons knew why.

A squeak from the gates creaking wider open jolted him from his thoughts and he opened his eyes to see another straggler. This one came alone. He had brown hair with streaks of violet, that was the thing Roman noticed first. He was a bit hunched over as he took in the courtyard, his glossy, dark wings folded on his back. He was still seemingly unsure of what to do as he glanced around. Roman got to his feet and went to greet him, feeling somewhat obligated as prince.
He approached from just behind the stranger, which soon proved to be a mistake.

"Hello, allow me to introduce myse—"
With a sharp thwack, the demon whirled around and slapped him in the face. Roman brought his hand up to his cheek and glared. "What was that for?!"
The other boy shied away, mistrust in his eyes. Seeing him clearly now, they were a soft shade of violet, similar to his hair.

"My bad, I thought that..." The stranger broke off his sentence and glanced down, shuffling his feet. "Look, you startled me, I'm sorry," he finally said, still not meeting Roman's eyes.

"It's fine," Roman sighed frustratedly. He rubbed the spot where he was injured and prayed it wouldn't swell. "As I was saying, I am Prince Roman, and it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance." He tried to play off his mood with a bit of charm, taking the other's hand and gently kissing it quick as a greeting. He settled his gaze on the shorter boy, who was now looking more intently at him.

"Of course the person I accidentally slap turns out to be royalty," he groaned with a frown, making Roman laugh despite himself.

"What should I call you?" The prince asked, smiling genuinely now. The other hesitated a moment before replying.

"Virgil," he said finally. Roman nodded and brushed past him, gesturing for him to follow. The two fell into step, walking side by side.

"What brings you to the party?"
He inquired, taking in the view of the man next to him. Virgil glanced to the side, stumbling over his words.

"I just needed a break from some people at home." Roman suppressed a laugh. "Overbearing parents?"

"Something like that," the violet-eyed boy agreed, snickering a little.
They found their way back into the ballroom and sat together at one of the many little tables that dotted the area. It was somewhat peaceful, talking to this strange demon about anything.
That was, until the peace was interrupted by dear old Dad.

"Roman! I gave you one rule!"