Chapter Six

Sunkissed- Khai Dreams
—————
Suddenly Virgil really wished Patton had stuck around.
He tapped his foot on the floor, a nervous habit, and the raised his hand and knocked on the door. He waited in anticipation. What if Roman was cross with him for staying to talk to the king? Sure it wasn't really Virgil's decision— but still.
A minute passed with no answer, and so the demon took a few deep breaths and pushed open the door himself.
The room was exactly what you'd expect and yet it still dazzled Virgil. A sparkling chandelier hung from the ceiling, casting small rays of light around the bedroom. There was a magnificent four-poster bed, with a scarlet comforter adorning it. There was a large wardrobe opposite of the bed, probably filled to bursting with clothing made of silk or satin, and a fluffy white rug on the wooden floor. A plush-looking chaise sat by the bookcase in a corner, with a intricately patterned and carved wooden chair pulled up next to them.
The room was unmistakably Roman.
He took a second to take it in, but the angel prince was nowhere to be found. Virgil crossed the floor towards the balcony and slid open the door, stepping out onto it.

"Roman?" He called, peering around and hoping he wasn't overstepping any boundaries by going in his room uninvited, though he had already showed up at his balcony with no heads up, so he supposed he'd done worse. There was no answer, and he sighed and sat on the ground, hugging his knees to his chest and resting his head on them. Where else was he meant to check? He had already gotten lost just finding this singular room.

"Virgil?" The familiar voice sounded, making said demon jerk to attention, but seeing nobody in front of him. He turned around, and still nothing, until the angel prince landed right next to him, pale cream-colored feathers shining in the dusky light. The angel grinned at him. "I was worried you wouldn't be able to find me, so I was looking for you, but I guess you're already here. How'd you do it?"

"Patton found me and showed me where your room was," Virgil said, standing up and dusting off his clothes. Roman nodded in understanding. The demon tried not to stare at the prince, whose auburn hair flared a fiery shade in the sun and made his eyes pop against his golden skin. They were every hue of a forest. The low-lying ferns and the crowns of leaves in the canopy, golden light filtering through and speckling the grassy floor.
And he was so close that Virgil could feel his breath on his own cheeks, which were now heating up, though he tried to convince himself it was just the warm weather.

"Uh, Virgil?"
Roman's voice broke up Virgil's thoughts and he leapt away from the angel, biting back a squeak of surprise. At the demon's reaction, Roman's eyes widened in question and probably a bit of concern. He brushed it off, though.
"Want to go for a fly? I've been meaning to get out of the castle," he offered, changing the subject. Virgil wanted to, of course, but he just sighed and flapped his uninjured wing with a raised eyebrow, trying to give the clueless prince a hint.

"That sounds great, but flight isn't really within my capabilities at the moment," he said, tone slightly teasing. Roman bit his lip as he realized his mistake.

"Right. My bad," he offered up a weak smile and sat on a bench nearby, gesturing for the demon to join him. The two were then sat side by side, close enough that their arms brushed together.
Silence hung heavy in the air for a moment until Roman got a mischievous idea. He narrowed his eyes with a little grin at the unaware boy next to him, and caught his gaze.

"What're you thinking?" Virgil asked, head in his hands and not prepared as he was scooped up by the angel and the pair took to the sky. Virgil yelped and clung fast to the prince while the stone cold ground faded from view, replaced by clouds brushing the top of his head. Roman laughed joyfully, but the demon just shut his eyes and buried his face into the other's chest.
"WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!" He screeched at the boy. Roman slowed down, flapping his wings and suspending them in midair.

"Taking a flight," he said teasingly, "I promise I won't let you fall, Virgil."
Said man looked up and opened one eye, glaring with it.

"Sure you won't," he grumbled, shivering at the sudden chill in the air. They were farther up than Virgil had ever thought to fly. The atmosphere was cool and icy, despite the heat of the earth below, and even though Roman was admittedly quite warm, it didn't stop the goosebumps prickling across his skin. As the angel started to fly forward, away from the palace, Virgil's grip on the other's shoulders tightened. "Don't you dare drop me."

"Wouldn't dream of it," Roman said, eyes glittering with amusement, "where to?"
Virgil shrugged.

"As far away from your dad as possible, please," he said matter-of-factly. The angel holding him chuckled a little, but nodded in agreement.
~
Wind buffeted Virgil's hair as the two landed, Roman flexing and then folding his wings and gently setting his friend down on a flat stone near where he touched ground. The demon groaned and splayed out, never feeling more relieved in his life.

"I'm never letting you fly me somewhere again, Princey," he muttered, earning a genuine laugh from said boy, "where'd you even take us?"

"I haven't been here in forever," the angel whispered in response, marveling at the scene around him. It was the heart of the city, near Virgil's home.
Perfectly manicured lawns sat in front of white picket fences and large, almost fairytale-like houses. The area was dotted with trees and lush with greenery, which was a pleasant surprise in the urban environment. The oaks and magnolias skirted the town square, where a large fountain stood in the center of it all. Virgil stood and grinned despite himself, then grabbed the prince's hand and tugged him to the sculpture. Roman sat on the edge with an almost childish glee and gazed at the bronze and silver coins littering the water. Virgil pulled a coin from his pocket and placed it in his friend's hand.

"Make a wish and toss it in, it's a tradition," he suggested. Roman glowed and shut his eyes for a moment, thinking about all the things he could wish for. He was a prince, there was no material thing he couldn't have. So what else did he need?
Who did he want?
He pondered a closer brother, a kinder father, his mom alive again, seemingly impossible things that nearly made him giggle when he thought of them.
He became acutely aware of the pretty demon watching him think, even with his eyes closed, he could feel the deep violet gaze set on him and dark hair messy in the breeze.
And he allowed himself to wish for the one thing that felt at least, a little bit possible.
With charm, luck, and maybe a few more coins in the fountain.
—————
Bonus post just 'cause
Btw amigos, it all goes downhill from here.