Chapter Nine

!Trigger Warning!
Description of a panic attack

Talk to Me- Cavetown
—————
Virgil heard Dee calling after him as he hurried away, picking up speed at others' curious looks and disappearing from the clearing into the thick of the forest.
The demon trampled the undergrowth as his feet took him away. He could feel his heartbeat racing, but he wasn't sure if it was the physical activity or the panic. Virgil wasn't sure where he was going until he found himself leaning on a familiar willow tree.
The leaves hung down around him, creating a veil of green and sheltering him from the world. This was where he often met Prince Roman- a great tree hidden in a dense thicket where no one else ever frequented.
He melted to the ground, shaking violently and pushing his bangs from his eyes. He felt tears threatening to fall and the demon brushed them away, afraid that someone had followed him and would find him having a breakdown on the forest floor. He was still acutely aware of his heart trying to escape his chest and his breathing quickening and shallowing with every gasp of air. He knew he shouldn't trust Dee, but he why not? He had known the man for years, contrary to meeting Roman only a month ago. Should he really choose the angel's word over his closest friend's? Or would that make him foolish?
Virgil squeaked as he heard a rustle of leaves and he pressed his back into the trunk of the tree, squishing against it. They had found him. He watched the spot where the hanging leaves moved, wiping his eyes and holding his breath until he felt he might pass out. He didn't release it, even after he recognized the prince that passed through the wall of green.

"Ro?" He mumbled, gazing up at his friend. The angel gasped upon seeing him in the state he was in and was at his side in a millisecond.

"Virgil! Are you alright?!" He asked, shock and worry seeping from his tone. The demon took a gulp of air and shook his head, pushing Roman away. Mistrusted or not, anyone too close only made his anxiety increase. "What happened?! Is there some way I can help?"
Virgil deepened his breathing, desperate to calm down, but the world wouldn't stop spinning. He tried to reassure the prince next to him.

"Roman, I'm—" he choked out the words and then gasped as his head pounded, and he felt his world growing dark.
~
He passed out. Roman knelt at his side and pulled him close, resting the boy's head in his lap. Was he injured? The angel looked him over but found no obvious wounds or bruises that could've caused him to faint. Roman just let out a shaky breath and closed his eyes too, giving himself a minute to calm down. Why would Virgil be so upset? He racked his brain until he recalled just days before how the demon had told him about his panic attacks. Roman had registered the information, but he hadn't realized they were so violent. He rested his head on the tree trunk, unsure of how to progress. The prince couldn't bring him to the palace nor the village, so he shut his eyes and nodded off, letting sleep overtake him as a breeze ruffled his hair.

It felt like seconds later, but Roman felt a weight on his lap lift and he blinked open his viridescent eyes. He peered down at the demon as Virgil lifted up his head and then noticed Roman and jumped away, holding up his hands in defense before lowering them when he realized who it was.

"Virgil, are you okay? I found you here crying and then you just passed out!" He cried, face scrunching up in worry. Virgil crossed his arms and drew closer to the angel, sitting down by him, guilty for concerning him.

"I'm fine. Just a panic attack," he said quietly, gazing at the ground and picking at the grass by his feet.

"Can I give you a hug?" Roman asked, frowning. Virgil nodded and the prince embraced him, the demon melting into the warmth.

"Why are you even out here?" Virgil inquired when he pulled away, tilting his head. Roman sighed and lowered his gaze.

"My father invited a girl to the palace tomorrow to court me," he grumbled. Virgil raised a brow.

"I sort of figured girls weren't your—"

"They're not," Roman said agitatedly, "and my Dad knows that, he just wants me to be the perfect straight son who marries a pretty angel girl."
Virgil nodded and the two were silent for a moment.

"It's weird," Virgil mumbled, half to himself, "Dee said..." he stopped quickly, covering his mouth with his hand. Roman narrowed his eyes at his behavior.

"Who said what?" He countered, curiosity pricking at him. Virgil just shook his head vigorously.

"Nothing. It's nothing," he said quickly, "forget it."

"Well now you have to tell me, you can't leave me hanging," Roman fake whined, sidling up to Virgil and pouting. This made the demon giggle a little, in spite of himself. Then he went back to frowning.

"Dee is my friend. He told me that— well, he said you were bad news."

"I'm a prince, I think I know my manners."

"No, he meant like..." he paused, "it sounds awful, but he said that you were just using me. To prove that angels weren't all the same," Virgil laughed hollowly.

Roman felt a bit indignant at such an accusation, but seeing his friend's broken expression cut his heart.

"Virgil, I would never hurt you like that," he whispered, taking the other's hand as gently as he could. Virgil's amethyst eyes glanced up at him and they made his breath catch in his throat.

"I trust you," the demon said softly, not taking his gaze away from Roman. The two just looked at the other for a moment, they were so close that their chests brushed against each other's and Roman leaned down closer to Virgil, who tilted his face up, cheeks turning pink.

"Virgil?! Are you out here?!"
A voice called from beyond the tree. The pair jumped back and the demon covered his face with the sleeve of his hoodie, looking away. The voice made his hair stand on end.

"That's Dee, you have to go," he whispered urgently.
Roman heaved a sigh and got to his feet, brushing himself off. He neared Virgil and just hugged him again, quickly as he could and spread his wings, running to the other side of the trunk and taking flight where he wouldn't be spotted by Dee.
He watched as the tree became a green speck on the horizon while the sun rose behind him, and headed for the palace.