Chapter 1 - I'm Still Alive But I'm Barely Breathing

Start from the beginning

"Master Greg if you don't mind me asking how? How is she going to be the most powerful immortal we will see? how is it going to work?" Ella Questioned Greg unaware what his response would be. Greg takes a step around his desk and sits on the edge looking out at his students, he crosses his arms at them gently knowing he needs to be open with them.

"We have all heard of Justin Barlow VanderVall, he and a noble maid at the time Ophelia Slaughter made a child. He wanted to bring the child up in his own world, the world he called home but Ophelia didn't. While Justin was in a major battle against his wishes Ophelia took their child from the handmade wooden bed with silk covering and took her to the sacred church to the mortals, she cast a spell among the child "With the powers I used to bless this loving child bringing her into the world. For her safety we will banish her of her powers, only will the most powerful immortal living can save her from death by drawing their blood with doing so this child's powers will return more powerful than before.". Ophelia took away her child's powers and a nun lady Christine placed her in a loving home. Ophelia ran away to the other side of the world keeping tabs on her child and knowing what Justin would have done after the truth came out. Ophelia was not just a noble maid but a powerful witch. Justin promised to leave their child alone until the timing was right but unless in the future his child was in desperate need of Ophelia's help she must stay away from his child." Greg explains to them all.

Justin sneakily creeps into the room trying not to disturb them all. He takes a seat on his black chair as it faced the wall which his portrait of him Ophelia and his child laid on. "What? You must be having a laugh. She is the child my mother read to me at night to get me to sleep? but if she's here what happened?" Wilson asked surprised, he takes a glance at Kathryn then back to Vice Principle Tanner

"Does she know?" Jesse questions him, he glances towards her lifeless body as memories of her flashes inside of his mind. Helpless was all he could feel, wishing and hoping there was more he could do for her.

"Does she know? "He screws up his face looking at Jesse never having heard something so stupid "Do you think she knows? Do you think she would bloody well be here"

"What happened to her that she is here?" Ella asked wanting to fill in the blanks. Justin turned his chair around and looked at his students. He looks down at an old photograph of a child when they were the age of five and sighs.

Justin's point of view

"I may have made a promise to that bitch but I still kept tabs on my little girl" They all turn and look at Justin in shock. They always believed the stories about him were false, there was never confirmation that it was true." Two months ago, I couldn't take not seeing her anymore. I wanted to see her and I knew she wouldn't know who I was and I was okay with that. I was going to accidentally bump into her in the mall but as I was about to go ahead with my plan Ophelia interrupted. She put a hit on our daughter and her followers were there to take care of it. I couldn't let anything happen to her so I quickly grabbed a hold of Kathryn and using my vampire speed we were in her house within in seconds. When she had the chance to look at me I could see in her eyes that she could remember me from somewhere and it gave me hope. Hope that one day me and her can be a proper family." I share with them all as the flashes of memories come into my head from that day.

"I recognize you. Have we met before?" Kathryn asks him as she looks at his face. She squints her eyes as she tries to remember but nothing comes to her leaving her that much more confused.

"My name is Justin I am your..." I began to say before stopping himself

"Wait, How did we get here?" Kathryn questions him as she looks around at her surroundings. She was too busy trying to figure out who he was that she wasn't paying attention. Prior to their escape she was at the mall with her friends and now stood in the hallway of her house. She takes a step back from me and holds out her hand as if it's a sigh for me to stay where I am.

I was prepared to tell her the truth but we heard her adoptive parents arguing about her birth certificate. I followed her upstairs as Kathryn wanted to know more but I knew it wasn't going to be that easy. She stood outside her mum and dads bedroom door listening to their argument. I knew I should have pulled her away, I should have told her it's rude to ease drop but I just wanted to be with her. I wanted her to know the truth about who I really am to her... I was selfish and in the process didn't realise how much it would hurt her.

"This letter came in the mail today." He holds it out to show her "Why does this say Kathryn's name along with two names claiming to be her parents who may I say I have never heard of before. Where did this come from? This can't be her birth certificate." Seth inquires about the certificate in his hand..

"Seth" The women says almost in pity. "I didn't tell you the truth because I realised how much it would break your heart. After we broke up, I adopted Kathryn when she was abandoned by her parents. All I know is her mothers name is Ophelia Slaughter and her father Justin Barlow. Her dad was away in a war and Ophelia didn't want her. They disagreed on how they should raise the child and I was an old family friends of theirs and I couldn't let her go to anyone else. Her father" She takes a breath, the words so hard for her to say. Each time she does she watches a peace of light disappear from her husband's eyes. "He keeps an eye on her. I meet him ever two weeks on Tuesday at three o'clock at Café De'javoir. Her mother was and still is a cruel women, she wants to punish the child for being brough into this world. I couldn't let it happen and Justin wasn't going to give up on her so I did what I believed was right" Lady Christine confesses the hurtful truth.

"I turned back around to speak to Kathryn but she was gone "I continue to say and I look at my students then over to where my daughter lays "because she didn't have her powers and because the spell Ophelia cast on her as a child to stop anyone being able to trace her I couldn't sense her but as a father my instinct kicked in and I knew she was in trouble. I got in touch with Greg but by time we reached my poor baby she was almost dead. I did what I thought was right, I took matters into my own hand and took her to the one place I knew she would be safe."

They looked at me stunned as if the unwitting truth of what happened that night was a lie. An awkward silence filled the air between them. I could see they were unsure of what to say, afraid to open their mouth. They wanted to know more, It was written all over their faces.

"Wait a minute" Wilson pipes up having remembered a past comment "Jesse, didn't you just say you were in love with her.... If she was mortal, then how do you know her? Until now I had never heard of Kathryn. The others were on protective detail but you... you weren't" He questions him as he picks apart the facts he knows.

"What does it matter, Right now we have to stay focused on saving her" Jesse avoids answering him hoping the secrets he holds will stay hidden.

Kathryn's point of view

I could hear voices but how is that possible. I can hear them all talking but it was like a mumbled sound. I'm sure I've been under this water for far too long. I should be dead by now. If I just open my eyes slightly maybe I will be able to see where am I. I hesitate for a minute before I open them slightly, they all look hazy to me. As I continue to look at them it was like my life flashed in front of me. I saw him, My father when I was a baby. My eyes they felt strange, I don't know how to describe it. My father he looks so young wait ... that's not my dad Seth.... That's him... My eyes widen open and when my sight came back to me, peered over me was Justin's red eyes as if it was a miracle that I was awake. In my mind this was anything but a miracle.