XIX. Now Or Never

Start from the beginning

"I'm gonna come with you, Jug. I gotta drop some flyers off for Sheriff Keller." Archie Says the two boys getting up from the table.

"Bye."

-

I walk downstairs quietly as I heard a loud bang from my room while I was asleep and I'm afraid that someone's breaking in so I brought a hammer.

Now is not the time to question why I have a hammer!

I quitely step down off the last step and turn slowly but don't see clearly so I start to walk forward.

"Archie?" I asks he whips his head around and out pocks Reggie.

"And Reggie. What are you both doing here?" I ask sighing as I sling the hammer onto my shoulder.

"Um I'm just giving Reggie the plays for the next game since him missed practice," Archie Says unsurely.

"Yeah..." Reggie says slight confused.

"Ok...? But why are you doing it now at...three in the morning?" I ask looking over at the clock before back at them.

"No time like the present," Reggie Says laughing nervously which makes me look at him even more confused.

"Wait What are you doing up?" Archie asks switching the subject on me.

"Oh I'm going on my three am run," I say sarcastically before slamming the hammer down on the island causing the boys to jump scared slightly.

"Three am run?" Archie asks confused

"I could join you," Reggie suggest quickly after Archie's comment. Archie and I look at Reggie and I shake my head.

"I'm joking by the way. I just heard a bang from upstairs. So what are you two really doing?" I ask crossing my arms and looking at Archie.

"I'm gonna go..." I hear Reggie say.

"Not so fast Reginald." I say stopping him.

"Fine. I'm watching the doors. To make sure the guy in the hood doesn't come back. To protect you and Dad," Archie says I tilt my head at him.

"Oh Arch..." I say softly "You Don't have to look after me I can take care of myself and Dad is fine. Plus what are you going to do when he comes? Hit him with your bat? I don't think so. Now you better go back into bed you shouldn't punish yourself like this honestly." I say patting his shoulder.

"And you need to go home." I say pointing at Reggie he puts his hands up in surrender.

"Whatever you say." He says before walking out.

"Thanks Dels," Archie says I smile before walking back upstairs.

-

"We need to host an event at Pop's that reminds the town of simpler times. Like, a throwback to when the shoppe first opened its doors." Betty suggest as Kevin Veronica and I sit in the Blue and Gold with Betty.

"Betty, I like a good milkshake as much as any girl, and Pop's puts Serendipity 3's to shame. But, why this hill to die on?" Betty sighs

"Orange freezes with my mom and Polly after ballet. Chicken noodle soup with my dad after ice-skating. Triple Fudge cakes with Dels after her gymnastics meets. Grilled cheeses with Archie on the last day of summer vacation. It's where I met you for the first time, Vee. It's where I met you for the first time Kev. Also Jug. He may lose his dad, but maybe I can save this one place for him For all of us." Betty Says I smile at her admiration.

"Hey. Veronica." We all turn towards the door to see A man says as he enters the room with a box and flowers "May I speak to you?"

"Daddy?" Veronica Says I choke on my own spit at the sudden announcement.