Chapter 13 - First Day

Pov Todoroki
I knocked before entering the lab, bringing Midoriya the coffee he requested. He'd been working on a new project as of late, spending an awful lot of time cramped up in the research wing. I sighed as I found him behind his computer, scrolling on one screen before rolling his chair to the left to look on another screen. He had three screens surrounding him in total so he wasn't distracted in the least and could multitask to his heart's desire.

"Izuku? I have your coffee" I spoked, making him perk up and turn around.
"That's great Sho! You can put it there somewhere" he rambled, waving in a general direction before turning around to start his work again. I noticed some empty cups and plates stacked together and cringed. Papers laid everywhere and there was a smell I'm not sure I want to know the origin of...

"Don't overwork yourself, okay?" I said, collecting some of the dirty dishes and taking a mental note to let someone clean up in here.
"What are you even working on? You haven't told anybody about it"
"Oh! I'm glad you asked!" he smiled, turning around again.
"I'm making a cure for Toya!"
I stared at him in shock, flinching as the plates I held a second ago shattered on the ground into a thousand pieces. He's doing...what?

"Oh my God! Everything okay Sho?" he asked worriedly, jumping up from his chair and coming over to me, alarmed by the broken pieces on the ground.
"I... I'm fine. Uhm, sorry, for breaking these. I'll have someone clean up the mess"
Izuku frowned, tilting his head as he stared at me, obviously not believing a thing of it. He's always been good at reading people. I guess that's how he stays hidden so well.

And, you know, the new disguise is pretty neat too. Nobody would suspect him to change to a freckle-less blueberry after seeing the green bean he was before.
"Shoto, be honest with me. What's on your mind?" he asked.
"I-I... Why?" I asked confused. That made him laugh, causing me to frown.
"Why? What a ridiculous question is that? He's your brother Todoroki, do I really need any other reason?"

I could see he was hiding something. Things weren't adding up. Of course, if I asked him to, he'd do it. I knew that much. But I didn't, and I'm sure Toya didn't either. He isn't one to interfere with family matters so casually. So why..?
"I even talked to Toya about it, he agreed to take the cure once I finish" he added with a smile, making my eyes widen.

What?!

Toya would never agree to that! He doesn't want help with his quirk, let alone a cure! To him it feels like people point out his flaws and mistakes, wanting to fix him or cure him from his current disappointment. That's what father made him believe, at least... It's because of that bastard Toya would never accept any help regarding his injuries obtained by his quirk. He wouldn't even consider it! He rather dies than admitting father was right and his quirk is flawed...

I sighed. How to make my brother understand that every quirk is flawed..? Every quirk has a weakness, a limit. There is only so much the human body can withstand before it crumbles... Yet father's teachings still have a firm hold on him. I'm not sure how Midoriya was able to break through that wall and convince Toya...
"You seem a little sceptical, Ace" he smirked, stepping into my personal bubble and letting a hand trail over my cheek.

"What is it? You don't trust me~?"
"Of course I trust you" I stated, not reacting as he let his hand trail through my hair, hearing him hum.
"You haven't changed at all, have you? Still a scared little boy, seeking guidance..." he muttered, pulling his hand back.
"Even with all this power you can't hide who you are inside... Please leave, I need to focus on my work"

With that he stepped back, a neutral look on his face as he returned to his seat and started working on his computer again. I stood there for a moment, my body not reacting. What did he mean by that? A scared boy looking for guidance? Unable to hide who I am inside..? I don't understand it. I'm not afraid anymore, not ever since father has gone to prison. I don't hide who I am anymore either, the whole world knows my identity and the whole union knows my personality. What danger is there to hide from?