»74«

Coach had caught several sophomore boys in one of the chemistry classrooms. Normally, wanting extra credit would not get the students kicked out, but at nine o'clock at night it was closing time.

"Your teenage years are not the time for academic achievement."

"Yes, they are." Mason said.

"That's a lie sold to you by the government." Coach said harshly. "Go find some girls, get into trouble. Live a little. Damn."

Corey frowned. "We're gay."

"Even better

"Even better. Go gays! Now get out of my face! I don't get paid to lock up after you losers."

Mason smiled at Coach. "Yes, you do."

"Get out of here!" Coach pushed them out through the doors. "Go wreak some havoc like the other kids." He went back inside to throw the remaining students out.

"Uh . . ." Mason felt his pockets. "My phone. I think I left it upstairs."

He quickly went back inside to get his phone, leaving Corey to wait outside.

All of a minute passed before Corey heard something strange. Find it? He texted Mason. No answer. He walked in, calling out, "Mason?" softly, but received no reply. Instead, the doors slammed open. A strong gust of wind blew inside, bringing masses of old leaves into the hallways.

Something was there . . . something invisible.

Corey leaned back against the wall and turned invisible. As soon as he did, two figures came into view. They wore hats and large coats, carrying pistols and whips. Ghost riders.

One of then walked right past him. Whether he could see Corey or not, the chimera did not know. The ghost rider continued walking until he was only a few steps from the other one, and then they both stopped. Both turned to him . . . but they did not care about him. They left Corey and walked on.

Corey picked up his phone and frantically wrote, They're here. Don't move. to Mason in a text.

He ran off to find him.

Out in the lacrosse field, Liam dropped his stick and tensed up. He narrowed his eyes, looking off in the direction of the school.

"What's wrong?" Scott asked.

"Something's happening to Mason . . ."

They ran.

In the library, Mason watched in horror as a boy in his chemistry class named Jake twisted and writhed above him in the middle of the air, kicking his legs back and forth with his hands by his throat. It looked like he was holding onto something.