»17«

The frown on Sheriff Stilinski's face worried the trio as he stared at the yearbook

The frown on Sheriff Stilinski's face worried the trio as he stared at the yearbook. "So this kid's the real killer?" He pointed at Matt's picture.

"Yeah." His son said.

Sheriff shook his head. "No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Dad," Stiles stood up. "come on, everybody knows that the police looks for ways to connect victims in a murder, okay? So, all you need to do is, like, look through their transcripts and figure out which class they all had in common."

Sheriff said, "Yeah," and looked back at yearbook photo. "except for the fact that the rave promoter Kara wasn't in Harris' class."

"Alright, okay, you're right. Sorry. Then I guess they dropped the charges against him?"

"No." Stilinski was fed up with Stiles at this point. "You know what? They're not dropping the charges, but that doesn't prove anything. Scott, Scar, do you believe this?"

The twins sighed. Scott was the one to speak. "It's really hard ho explain how we know this. But you just got to trust us. We know it's Matt."

Stiles nodded. "Yeah, he took Harris' car, okay? Look, he knew that if a cop found tire tracks at one of the murders, and that if enough victims were in Harris' class, that they'd arrest him."

"Alright, fine. I'll allow the remote possibility. But give me a motive. I mean, why would this kid want most of the two thousand six swim team and its coach dead?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Stiles exclaimed. "Our swim team sucks! They haven't won in, like, six years . . . okay, we don't have a motive yet. I mean, come on, does Harris?"

"What do you want me to do?"

"We need to look at the evidence." Scarlett said.

"Yeah, that would be in the station, where I no longer work."

"Trust me, they'll let you in."

Sheriff stared at his son wide eyed. "Ye- I- D-" Absolute gibberish left his mouth. "Tru- Trust you?!" He pointed at Stiles.

"Trust . . ." Stiles pointed behind him. "Trust the twins?"

Stilinski opened his mouth, but said nothing. He pointed at the twins and nodded. "The twins I trust."