Anna's Gift

"In the spring of 2005, Altoona High school held its yearly Spring Talent Show. The events that took place that night have no explanation. After hundreds of man hours of forensic investigation, dozens of autopsies, and help from big city police crime scene investigators from Pittsburgh; the police are no closer to an answer as to what happened. Detectives actually have little to work with in regards to evidence. Dead bodies don't have much to say, unfortunately. Witness statements were far and few between. Each witness statement contradicted the last.

"It doesn't help when the very few witnesses that had anything substantial to say ended up dying. Whether it be by suicide or car accidents, all those close enough to recall the events of that night were dying off quickly. Some did not die. For example, firefighter and first responder Tim Collins complained of nightmares at first. Tim turned to the booze and oxy's at an attempt of self medication. Tim's issues were manageable until he began to have hallucinations, both auditory and visual. One night, Tim attacked Jessie, his 14 year old daughter, with a tire iron. Tim claims that Jessie wouldn't turn down the music. Jessie was found in her room, beaten to death, along with her mother Joyce.

"Tim's misfortune is one of many real life horror stories that began on that April night. But, we are not here to tell those stories. We are here to tell one story. From what could be gathered from the evidence that fills over a dozen file cabinets and what little could be learned from witness reports, there is one single thread of commonality. There is one person that is uniformly mentioned throughout the investigation—her name is Anna. This is a compilation of accounts from the Altoona Police Department's most 'reliable' witnesses. What you are about to hear is... shocking to say the least. Is this a story that has been exaggerated to create a new urban legend? Or, are these accounts the truth? A truth that will test everything you believe in. Be warned, what you consider reality will be challenged by these events."

-Anthony Quinn, author of "Finding Anna: The True Story of Teenage Violence".

This is Brad Martin's June 2006 police statement regarding the "Incident". This statement was given before Brad was involuntarily committed to the Altoona Hospital's Behavioral Health Unit. Brad never left the hospital. He hung himself with a "rope" he constructed out of his bed sheet.

"If you want the truth regarding the 'incident' that happened on that spring night, then you came to the wrong fucking person. Thank God I decided to walk out before Anna's performance.

"So, I guess I won't be very fucking helpful. What I can tell you about is Anna. I wish I could tell you everything there is to know about her. Since the... event... I have been obsessed with her. She was so shy and backward. Like a mouse, she was silent. Thin as a rail and awkward as a teen could be, Anna epitomized what a rough adolescence looked liked. Behind thick framed glasses and oily skin was an intelligent girl.

"She always enrolled into the advanced classes and always did very well. The only reason I know she did very well is because I used to look over her shoulder during tests, trying to sneak a few answers. She used to catch me looking but would bashfully smile and ignore the invasion of her academic privacy. When my tests came back with B+'s, I knew it was because of Anna. Well, or her lack of concern for my deviant behavior. Between classes were the worst times for Anna. It always seemed like the hall way sharks, as I like to call them, came out to feed on Anna.

"Taunts and barbed comments like, 'Hey scarecrow bitch come study my DICK-TIONARY,' and, 'Anna! Did your mom get your clothes from the dump?'

"Even Anna's personal life was held against her. Her mother worked at the recycling plant on Skyline drive. The guys used to make sure that Anna knew her mother had a less than a lucrative occupation. Anna always stayed composed and took all insults with stride. It was as if she gotten her revenge on them in some way. It was like she knew something that the bullies did not. I guess that is why I liked Anna so much. Not just because of the free answers I got from her, but just the way she held herself in the face of adversity. I wish I could say that I got to know Anna more.