Scare Crow

With a smile, Johnathan peered down at the ring he held in his hand and laughed quietly with excitement. Finally. After three, long years, he'd managed to save up enough money to afford the ring. He could finally propose to Liz, his girlfriend of four and a half years, and they could take the next step in their relationship. Three years ago, he'd decided Liz was the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. After that, he'd spent every waking moment working to make their relationship a strong, and happy one. Swelling with pride, he pocketed the ring and unlocked the front door of their home before stepping inside. He didn't call out to her, not this time.

No, today would be different. He'd find her, wherever she was. He'd tell her how much he loved her, get down on one knee to propose. Then, he'd gaze into her eyes and hope to god that she'd accept. Excited, he checked various rooms in the house searching for his love. She wasn't anywhere downstairs, which could only mean she was on the second floor. Smiling, he slowly made his way up the stairs, mentally going over exactly what he'd say to her one last time before popping the question. Upon reaching the top step though, a peculiar sound met his ears. From his perspective, it sounded like groaning. Concerned, he moved towards the sound thinking Liz might have fallen ill.

However, the closer he moved to the sound, the clearer it became. The noises weren't groans, but moans- and there were two voices. Dread flooded his veins as he moved closer, coming to stand behind his and Liz's shared bedroom. Afraid of what he'd find, he reached to open the door. With a slow push, and a loud creak, he opened the door to peer inside the room. All at once, everything fell silent. Yet, he was sure the pair lying in his bed had heard the sickening sound of his heart shattering. There, lying on top of his beloved girlfriend, was his best friend, James. Shocked, he froze and stared wide eyed at the pair. They were sweaty. Based on the appearance of the sheets, they'd been well into the act.

Liz wasn't looking him in the eyes, and his supposed friend was staring at him awkwardly. For a few, painstakingly long minutes, everyone was silent. The pair in the bed separated and James struggled to slip on some clothing without exposing himself to his friend. However, when the male moved away from the bed to approach Johnathan, hell broke loose. In a sudden act of rage, the betrayed man lurched at his friend and tackled him. The pair struggled on the ground for a moment, throwing punches and kicks and shouting profanity. Liz shouted and struggled to dress, hoping for them to stop but her pleas fell on deaf ears. John was too far lost in anger, and James had to try and defend himself.

Not that he was given much chance. In his rage, Johnathan had lost all sense of mercy. He threw repeated blows to James's face, chest, shoulders, hand, and arms. His fists turned red from blood, most of which belonged to the male he was pummeling. He broke both hands punching the other so hard, and in the end it took a pair of police officers to pull him away from his unconscious friend. Johnathan had nearly beaten James to death, and while he was attacking Liz had called the police because she was unable to do anything to stop him herself. Upon being dragged off of his near dead friend, he was roughly pushed to the floor and pinned down as handcuffs were locked around his wrists.

Along with the cuffs, came a zip tie to ensure he couldn't get away. From there, he was dragged downstairs and locked inside a cop car while his friend was rushed outside to be loaded into the ambulance. Paramedics came and inspected his hands, which were eventually uncuffed for treatment. They patched him up to the best of their immediate capability, then he was cuffed once more and taken to jail. Once there, he went through the standard procedures, then he was put in a holding cell. His hands were inspected again, and he was given better treatment along with some painkiller, then he was left alone to think over the previous events.

At first, all he could feel was anger. He'd given Liz four years of his life. When they met, they were lucky enough to both share the desire to wait until they were married to have sex. He'd been honest, and faithful to her. Then, when he was finally able to get their relationship moving to the next step, he found out she'd betrayed him. Not only had she cheated on him, she'd done it with his best friend. Or rather, ex-best friend. James was dead to him now. He knew Johnathan had planned on proposing to Liz, hell, he was going to be the best man. They'd planned so much together in secrecy. Finding him in bed with his girlfriend had been like getting stabbed in the stomach.