Origin of Slenderman and Stories

Hi guys it's me, you can look at the picture up you can see Slenderman
he background of gritty black-and-white photos - a gaunt, tall figure with skeletal limbs. Some say he lives in the woods and eats children, a kind of demon descended from eastern European myth. Some say he stalks human prey say he indiscriminately, wherever he can find it: in basements, outside half-open windows, along lonely streets late at night when only occasional headlights cut across the road.

Some say he has no face. Other says that his face looks different to everyone who sees it. But whatever they say, everyone generally agrees on one point: that Slender Man, perhaps the Internet's best and scariest legend, is indeed a legend invented character who can be traced back quite linearly, to an obscure forum where in 2009 users Photoshopped old pictures and improvised a back story for their creations. for their creations.

Tragically - and chillingly - two 12 year old girls in Waukesha, Wis., seem to have missed all of that. On Saturday, according to local news reports, the girls lured a friend into the woods and stabbed her 19 times in some kind of tribute to Slender Man. The girl they stabbed is hospitalised in stable condition.

The perpetrators will be tried as adults. "Many people do not believe Slender Man is real," one of the girls said, according to the criminal complaint.

"[We] wanted to prove the skeptics wrong."

But as dozens of forum posts, newspaper articles and a handful of academic papers show, there's nothing to prove. Slender Man is a fascinating case study in the creation and codification of Internet myth. And at the end of the day, that's all it is: a myth.

Note: or is it? Two words to explain why Slenderman can be real... Cover up

The invention of a "mythological" monster

In the myth, Slender Man has many origins: Germany's Black Forest.

Ancient Egypt. Cave paintings in Brazil purportedly depict his movements.

In real life, the story begins in the forums of Something Awful, a humour site for people who enjoy joking about things like Dungeons & Dragons, porn and 3-D printers. But the forums can take trickier turns - they're well known for tricky Photoshopping and general Prankery.

On June 8, 2009, a new forum thread invited users to "create paranormal images through Photoshop," which many users did. But the creation of one user, Victor Surge, struck a particular chord: He posted two photos of children haunted by a tall, shadowy figure with tentacles for arms, along with blocks of ominous..

Text: we didn't want to go, but its want to kill them, persistent silence and outstretched arms and comforted us at the same time . . .

1983, photographer unknown, presumed dead. For weeks, Surge continued posting doctored photos, newspaper clippings doctored photos, newspaper clippings and child's drawings of Slender Man, gradually pulling other users into the myth. They contributed their own Photoshops and stories, drawing parallels to older legends and nudging the story along. By mid-June, the
thread was solely devoted to developing the mythos of Slender Man, which now - at least according to one authoritative PDF - runs 194 pages long. Because Slender Man was developed collaboratively, by a community of anonymous contributors, that mythos is spotty and varied - much like a more organic urban legend would be.

In some stories Slender Man has multiple arms, like tentacles, and in some he has no extra appendages, at all. Sometimes he seems to kill his victims themselves, in vague, mysterious ways that the faux news stories and police reports never seem to specify, before disemboweling them and bagging their organs. Other times, Slender Man somehow compels his victims to kill each other - a particularly grim plot line, given the recent attack in Wisconsin. In one of the faux news stories, a horse farmer named Ted Henderson shoots his wife in the chest at the SlenderMan's behest, only explaining the crime to his psychiatrist at a mental institution three years later.