Chapter Eight

I woke up to an earthquake and flames that were engulfing and burning my body.

Just kidding. Sort of.

My brother was shaking me awake, with his eyes wide with horror. My head ached like somebody had banged it repeatedly against a tree trunk. My lower abdomen felt like somebody had lit it on fire. "Ow," I muttered, feebly slapping my brother before heaving myself up.

Then the memories hit me like a tsunami.

Getting drunk... going into the room... Kyle...

Kyle!

I looked around wildly, searching for his blond hair. "Where did he go?" I rasped, my throat feeling scratchy and dry.

Isaac silently handed me an Advil to help with my headache before giving me my clothes to put back on. "Where is he?" I demanded, dread growing in the pits of my stomach as reality dawned on me.

My brother coughed softly and avoided my gaze guiltily. "I'm sorry," he began, but I interrupted him angrily.

"You know the reason why I don't go to parties," I started, my voice low and dangerous. "You know what happened already, Isaac." I started to wave my hand around wildly. "This," I motioned to myself, "is why I don't like going to parties!"

He sucked in a breath. "I know Talia, I know. But I just thought that maybe you wanted to get out and forget everything for a while..." his voice trailed off and cracked as he hung his head shamefully. "I suppose you won't want to be going to the party tonight, huh?"

I sighed and relented. "No, I'm still going. Lord knows I need it," I add, feeling a little bit bad for using the Lord's name in vain, but I reminded myself that I don't believe in that god anymore. God didn't protect me from what happened, did he?

"Alright then, just... help me get in the car, will ya?" I asked him, my head still throbbing. Isaac nodded quietly and picked me up bridal style. I was too tired to object.

~~~

As soon as we walked into the next party, I knew that I had made a mistake. People everywhere were lying on the floor, passed out from drinking so much alcohol. I winced, reminding myself not to let myself get drunk again. I said goodbye to the three guys and walked outside, hoping that they would stay at least half sober.

When I walked outside, I gasped in awe, taking in what I saw. There was a huge fountain in the middle of the yard with water spouting from a stone-sculpted swan. Everywhere I looked, there were exotic plants. Hibiscus flowers and roses filled the area with their scent, and the grass under my feet was so soft that I could sleep on it without getting itchy. I looked above my head, and a giant greenhouse-like globe was overhead.

The backyard of this house was big enough to build another frickin' mansion!

"Are you going to stop looking like a dead fish?" an amused voice asked, snapping me back to reality.

I turned around to find an Asian girl behind me, an entertained expression on her face. Her jet-black hair fell in glossy waves around her heart-shaped face, and her dark-brown eyes seemed to pierce my soul like a knife. Her smirk said it all; this girl had attitude radiating off of her. Her slender legs and tall figure seemed to have every plant bowing at her feet. She commanded attention, that was for sure.

Walking across the lush, green grass, I met her near the doorway. "I'm Natalia," I introduced myself, smiling.

"You must be the new kid," the girl remarked, looking down at my short figure. "I'm Lily." She stuck out her hand for me to shake, which I did.