35. Always & Forever

In a perfect world, the one Silbie had created in her head, Owen would have swept her into his arms, smothered her with kisses, and declared he loved her—missed her—needed her

He wheeled around to face her. His expression pinched but not before a slew of emotions past his features, too fast for her to decipher. "Silbie. What are you doing here?"

So much for her world building. "You shut me out of your life, and that's the first thing you say to me?"

He averted his eyes. "You're angry. And you have a right to be. I should have called."

"I deserved more than a call." She moved closer to him and lifted her eyes to the same tree he'd fixed his on. The man was infuriating. "What are we looking for exactly? A rare bird? A pet squirrel? Trump's toupee?"

He faced her, grief evident on his face. "Dammit, Silbie. This is hard for me."

As much as she tried, she couldn't keep the sexual innuendo out of her head. However, best not to go there—yet. "Why?"

"You don't understand. I'm not the same—" His voice broke.

She tried to calm the anger, the hurt, rising to a boil in her chest. "Do you remember the last thing you said to me before you left?"

He narrowed his eyes as if searching his brain vault.

"You said, 'I love you. Always. Forever.' Those words are burned into my memory. Did you mean them?"

He glared at her, as if she was questioning his integrity. "You know I did. It wasn't a line."

His reply seared her skin like a branding iron. It took every ounce of willpower not to fall into his arms. "Do you still mean them?"

"Silbie—"

"We've both changed. But if we love each other, we should be together. Don't you want that?"

He stuck his hands in his pockets. Looked down at his shoes, then lifted his gaze to her again. "You've got a great life. A bright future. I don't want to mess that up."

She reached out to touch him.

He stepped back.

Seconds dragged as she put a plan in place. If she wanted him in her life, it'd take more than a chance meeting in the park. She had to give him a reason to spend time with her. "You're saying you're no good for me?"

"Yeah."

"Have you considered the alternative? That I may be no good without you?"

He took his hands out of his pockets and pressed a palm against the tree, as if he needed the support.  "What did you say?"

"Do I need to use a French accent?"

He shook his head. "No. You can't be."

She smiled. "I am."