8 | Enlightened

Maia felt terrible about the three texts she'd left Dante

Maia felt terrible about the three texts she'd left Dante. She'd come across like a Taylor Swift Stage 5 Clinger. But she had to know why he was avoiding her. As soon as she saw him, she planned to change that. She'd tell him she loved him. Maybe it was wrong to put him on the spot, but she hated being in limbo. Even though she'd not expressed her feelings, he had to know she wouldn't have slept with him without a serious connection. Perhaps that was the reason why he was ghosting her—he didn't feel the same, and he was too much of a coward to come out and say it.

When her phone chimed, and his name appeared, her heart leaped into her throat. She stared at the screen. She must have read the message a dozen times before it sank into her brain. Was this a joke? Surely it had to be. What kind of guy used the 'hey, I'm getting married' excuse? Weren't cheaters always trying to hide the fact they were engaged or married?

Regardless of why he thought it funny, Maia admitted he'd gotten her good. Dante marrying Bea Bennett was the most hilarious thing she'd ever heard. She texted back.

Hilarious.

She tapped in Silbie's number. "Hey, you won't believe the joke Dante just pulled. I sent silly texts last night asking if Bea had him tied up or if she was holding him for ransom. I just got an answer and it's a good one. He said they were getting married. That's the funniest thing I've ever heard."

Silence filled the air. She checked the bars on her phone. All five glowed. "Silbie? Are you there?"

"I was just about to come to your house. See you in a few minutes."

"Oh, okay. Is something wrong?  Oh, God. Is it Owen?"

"No. Uncork some wine. Be there soon."

Maia laid her phone on the kitchen counter and rustled up a couple of glasses and a bottle of Merlot. Something was definitely wrong if Silbie wanted a drink. If it wasn't Owen—then what? Maybe she and her mother were still at odds. If so, Silbie needed to get over it. It was wrong for her mother to keep Owen's situation from her, but she'd had a good reason.

Maia opened the wine and half filled her glass. The first sip exploded across her taste buds. Drinking before noon wasn't her usual routine, but it was Russia somewhere. She hoisted her glass and eyed her phone. Still no reply from Dante.

It wouldn't be wrong to text him again. He'd opened the line of communication.

Jokes aside, where are you?

Her thumbs hovered over the keypad. Should she say something else? Tell him she missed him and wanted to see him? That might be too much. However...

Come for dinner. 7ish?

Great. Now for the menu. She had spaghetti in the pantry, beef in the freezer, and three ripe tomatoes in the fridge. Plenty of ingredients for salad and a dump cake too. She'd save a trip to the store.