26 | Plans Come Together

The adjoining door to Silbie's room banged open, and Maia charged in like a rhino

The adjoining door to Silbie's room banged open, and Maia charged in like a rhino.  Silbie could almost see the steam billowing from her nostrils. "The nerve of that man! I take back everything I said about him being perfect."

Silbie slammed her laptop shut and sat up straight. "What happened?"

Maia stopped short and propped her hands on her hips.  "Why are you whispering?"

"I'm losing my voice," she pressed a hand to her chest. "Laryngitis. Pretty sure the shower scene I did brought it on. Something happen with Zach?"

"He gave me a line about how he could fall in love with me. Can you believe that? He must be psycho. You know—the kind who sleeps with a woman then follows her home and lurks outside her house with binoculars." Silbie's eyes tracked her as she paced the area in front of the bed, back and forth. "He's Joe Goldberg, from that You show we watched on Netflix! I mean, give me a break. No way he thinks he could fall for me already. That's insane." Maia raised her eyebrows, as if to say, Right? Right?!

Silbie smiled and shook her head. "I'm afraid I disagree." She had no choice. She'd fallen in love just as quickly. Even if she had been a teenager, Owen had loved her, too. Even though it took him twice as long to realize it. "I knew Owen was the one within an hour after meeting him. I don't understand why you're so mad."

She fixed her with a glare. "Whose side are you on?"

"Yours, but just a few hours ago you said, and I paraphrase. "He's a shepherd and a dog—and everything I've ever wanted. Clearly, he isn't saying shit to get his way."

Maia rolled her eyes and resumed wearing out the carpet. "Oh, that's for sure. He shepherded me out of my panties and into his bed without any effort. Well, there was the kiss list."

Silbie chuckled. "That'd be a great movie title."

"I know. Right?" Maia threaded her fingers through her hair and held her head as if it might explode. "He isn't leaving."

Silbie raised her brows. "What?"

She slumped onto the bed and clutched the edge of the mattress. "He's thinking of expanding his business."

"Some type of training facility, right?"

"Yeah. Security consulting and tactical instruction. With so many celebrities and high-profile professionals here, California might be a gold mine."

Silbie nodded. It made sense. "Had he planned to do this all along or is it because of you?"

Maia drew a staggering breath. "All along, I guess. It'd be weird if it was just to be around me."

Silbie joined her on the bed and took her hand. "Do you want him to leave?"

Maia stopped in place and considered. "No."