18 | Back Where It All Began

Silbie spent the last few days of December reading the script that had Jolene so excited

Silbie spent the last few days of December reading the script that had Jolene so excited. That, and arranging for the delivery of Owen's service dog. Between the script, dog, and her decision not to visit Parkers Prairie stretched Silbie's nerves to the limit.

She should call to let her family know she'd decided to stay in California. But since she'd not spoken to any of them in weeks, she figured her silence spoke louder than words. She kept telling herself she'd get over it, but so far, that hadn't happened. Each time she thought of her mother's lies, Silbie's anger flared again.

Time was supposed to heal all wounds, and she kept waiting for that to happen, but no luck.

Making her way to the kitchen for another shot of caffeine, she refilled her mug. Well, she'd have to drink several more to get a good dose, because her drink contained mostly Jolene's homemade Salted Caramel creamer. Silbie brought the cup to her mouth, blew across the surface, then slurped the sweet liquid. Cup number two was just as delicious as the first one.

She walked to the back window and stared at the flower garden still in full bloom. Winters in Las Angeles were milder than Parkers Prairie. Silbie wondered if the hotel where Owen stayed had a park nearby. Hopefully, the dog would be the catalyst to get him out of his room, not to mention much-needed companionship.

Mr. Childs, the trainer, worked with the Wounded Warriors organization making the gift beneficial in two ways. Silbie made a sizable donation, and the animal would give Owen a purpose. At least that's what she hoped.

After watching several videos of available animals, a two-year-old border collie named Dash captured Silbie's heart. She hoped Owen liked him. Her only regret was not being able to see his reaction to the gift. Mr. Childs planned to deliver the dog on New Year's Eve and stay the next week to help Owen and Dash bond as a team. He assured her Owen's attitude would change once Dash worked his magic. Fingers crossed, he was right.

She went back to the living room, set her cup aside, and picked up the script once more. She loved the story—and the character, Simone DeRoux. However, some scenes gave her pause. She glanced up at the tap, tap, tap on the door. Jolene pushed it open and stepped inside.

"I see you've been reading the script. What do you think so far?"

Silbie thinned her lips into a grim line. "I've finished it, and I love Simone's character. Her long red hair. And I especially love her tattoos. But the sex scenes worry me."

Jolene started to speak, but Silbie waved her off. "I understand a movie called The French Mistress sets the tone, but I'm not comfortable with all the nudity and being naked with some actor I don't know, while fifty people watch. I'm sorry. I'm going to pass on it."

"Not so fast, lollipop. We can add concessions. Tell me what it would take for you to accept the role."

"I just told you. Being filmed in the buff bothers me, and without those scenes, the film wouldn't make sense. I doubt they're willing to agree to my demands, and I don't want them to. It's a great story. Just not for me. At least not at this point in my career. Let them get an actor who is comfortable with it the way it is."