7 | Man With A Plan

Solitary days spent drenched in sweat and frigid nights trembling in a cot left Owen feeling hopeless at times

Solitary days spent drenched in sweat and frigid nights trembling in a cot left Owen feeling hopeless at times. Still, he made good use of the last forty-eight hours doing pushups, sit-ups and jumping jacks while mulling over ways to escape. The exercise only made his leg hurt worse, but he figured it was good for it. At least the make-shift splint was gone.

Snooki warned against his plans. But what did a spider know? Easy for her to judge. She could crawl out anytime she wanted but seemed content working her web or dangling by a silk thread.

"Let's review Plan A again. Dig a shallow grave, bury myself up to my neck, wait for them to pass, then shoot out in the opposite direction."

What about food? Water?

"Good point. Maybe instead, I'll come back here."

I have to put the quietus on that, too. What's the point other than pissing them off? You got a death wish?

He hated to admit it, but she was right again. "Okay, what about Plan C? Same setup but this time, I'll sneak to where the other prisoners are kept. Maybe they have answers to my questions. Or a strategy of their own."

Even if he didn't make it back to his cell before being caught, it was worth the risk. The minute he gave up, it was all over. Doing nothing meant imminent death. Strong winds made the frigid nights even more biting as his fingers and toes numbed. His hands and feet throbbed from cracking and the bitter taste of blood from splitting lips lingered in his mouth.

Boohoo. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. If you're serious about your alphabet ideas, you need to buck up and be ready. It's been three days, and it's getting dark. They'll come soon.

Owen trained his eyes on Snooki. "You sound just like my sister. Why don't you make yourself useful? Go crawl around and dig up some Intel. Like who are these people, and what do they want?"

I'd like your sister. Zari, right? Funny name, but if I sound like her, then it fits. We just call'em like we see'em. And what about that girlfriend of yours? Silbie? What kind of name is that?

"It's unique. Her name fits her. She's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen."

Okay. Okay. No need to pitch a hissy fit.

His emotions spiraled at the thought of never seeing Silbie again. Add the solitary days drenched in sweat and frigid nights trembling in a cot left Owen feeling hopeless. Maybe he should just bury himself completely and be done with it.

Hold up there, cowboy. That's crazy talk.

He pressed the heels of his hands against his temples.

The door swung open and his tormentors stood armed and smirking, ready to play. Three this time, pointing G3 rifles at him. One with a stump of an arm smiled, showing a definite need for dental work.