13 | Coming And Going

Silbie plopped into the seat next to Maia, took one last look at her phone and turned it off

Silbie plopped into the seat next to Maia, took one last look at her phone and turned it off. She'd joked about rumors of a marriage coming from Logan going with her to church. She'd even worn a bright red dress to dispel any idea of a wedding. No such luck.

Within an hour, her phone had blown up with Twitter and Instagram tags congratulating her on their nuptials. She gritted her teeth. Why couldn't people mind their own damn business?

Then there was the tension of Maia and Dante being in the same room. Although they sat as far from one another as possible, the hot glare Maia shot his way was enough to start a fire. At least Bea didn't attend, and as soon as the christening service ended, Dante fled like a thief. Didn't even give Silbie time to ask what was being done to bring Owen home.

As great as her career was, Silbie's personal life was starting to shamble. The undeniable tension between Mom and her spoke volumes about where their relationship was headed. And it wasn't a good place. She needed to forgive her, and in time, she would.

The fasten your seatbelt sign dinged on. Silbie shifted in her seat and buckled up. She leaned back, closed her eyes, and thought about Owen. As wonderful as the fame was, she'd give it all up for him to be back home, in her arms. Every idle moment he filled her head and now that she knew he was missing, fear knotted in the pit of her stomach.

The jet engines roared, and the plane moved forward. Maia gripped the armrests and stiffened. "I hate taking off."

"Yeah, me, too," Silbie said. "I'm so glad you changed your mind."

"Yeah, well, after seeing Dante, I decided I didn't want to risk running into him and his new bride in Parkers Prairie. Besides, not even twenty-four hours on the job and I'm sitting in first class for an all-inclusive trip to a foreign country. I've hardly been out of Texas."

Logan leaned across the aisle, where he sat next to director Sam Spelchek. "You might not be so excited once you experience the weather. We're shooting quite a few mountain scenes."

"Yeah, I have hopes for plenty of snow in that region," Sam said.

Maia widened her eyes and sat straighter. "That'll be exciting. We don't get much of the white stuff."

Logan snickered. "Silbie won't mind since she'll have her new husband to keep her warm."

She faced him and scowled. "Why aren't you upset by all the lies they print about us?"

"Sticks and stones, See-bee. Sticks and stones. The people who matter most in our lives know the truth. The key is to stop reading that garbage. Leave that to Jolene and Maia. If they see something that needs your attention, they'll tell you."

"I guess you're right."

He cupped his ear. "Say again."

"Don't push it—Dear."