2 | Trust Me

Confusion overtook Silbie

Confusion overtook Silbie. She didn't know which was worse. Mom's phone call or Jo's prediction. People believed what they wanted regardless of the truth. Only a few months into Hollywood life and the realization of how fake everything was had Silbie reeling. Facts interested no one, especially reporters. They wanted to twist words into sensational scoops to fuel their own rise to fame—no matter who they hurt along the way.

That had to be the reason for Mom's strange tone. She'd read the propaganda regarding the fake relationship with Logan, and since Silbie had never mentioned it, the family was upset.

She wandered into the kitchen of the guesthouse. Jo's offer to let her stay here was too good to pass up. Silbie appreciated the kindness. She closed her eyes. Took a breath. Was it thoughtfulness—or a way to keep tabs on a top-grossing client? Damn. The movie wasn't released yet, and she was already jaded.

The chocolates she'd brought home from the wrap party tempted her. She lifted the lid from the box and hovered a finger over the selections as if playing a game of eeny-meeny. Before, she'd bite into the bottom of every single one and eat the ones that tasted good, but now she had to be more selective. She needed to watch her carbs or she might not fit into Rayne's costume. She never thought satin and spandex would occupy her wardrobe. The last thing she wanted was Twitter speculating if a weight gain was a baby bump.

Outside, by the pool, Jo looked like a televangelist, pacing, waving, talking into a wireless headset—probably to her lawyer. God help him. Her big personality sucked all the air out of a room. The internet claimed it led to her current divorce battle. Silbie knew better.

Jo usually twisted her hair into a French knot, but today, the long auburn strands fell in riotous curls over the nape of her neck. With wide-set green eyes and pouty lips, she was beautiful enough to have pursued her own movie career. But being in front of the camera didn't interest her. She said discovering new talent was the joy of her life. Her first success, husband Rich Diamond. He'd been on the path to superstar status, but once he'd fallen into booze and drugs, even Jo couldn't resuscitate his career. Two box office flops and it was over.

She ended the call and plopped onto the end of the chaise and sobbed. Jo never exposed this side in public. She always came across as self-assured and shrewd as anyone in the business.

Silbie hated seeing her this way. She peeked out of the back door. "Hey, Jo! How about a glass of wine?" Silbie wasn't old enough to drink, but no one really cared now that she was semi-famous. Besides, she needed to cheer up Jo.

Apparently startled, Jo grabbed her chest, and spoke over her shoulder. "Okay. Be there in a minute." She straightened, raked fingers through her hair, then knelt by the pool and splashed water on her face. As she walked toward the open doorway, her bright caftan fluttered like butterfly wings. Wiping her cheeks, she stepped inside. "Whew! It's warm out there. I had to cool off a bit. I bet my face is as red as my hair."