mixed signals- peter parker

Start from the beginning

"Fine, I'll be quiet."

"I love you too, Peter."

The words felt strange when leaving your mouth. But you'd said them to him countless times before, so why did it feel so odd now? You shook off the weird feeling and turned back around, sitting back down with your drink.

The required literature for juniors was really long. You and Peter promised to read along at the same pace, and so you both still had around 7 or 8 chapters to go (the chapters were rather long, and you had to finish by Monday but didn't want to put it off until Sunday night). Ten minutes, then twenty, then half an hour quickly passed by in silence.

Peter took this opportunity as a chance to take a quick glance at you. He looked over to see you completely focused and immersed into what you were doing, finding it rather adorable with your brows furrowed together in concentration and your hair falling over and framing your face.

He blinked and snapped out of it. He wasn't supposed to think this way. Not about his best friend.

He went and grabbed a Pepsi from the fridge, taking several long gulps to distract himself.

At that moment, you stood up to get a drink and almost slipped on the smooth marble flooring. Peter noticed and quickly placed his hands on your hips to steady you. You were telling yourself to pull away and get back to what you were doing, but some weird force was keeping you firmly rooted in your place.

It suddenly felt as if the entire world had stopped and was holding its breath to see what was going to happen next. An uncomfortable awkward silence filled the air and it was hard to concentrate on anything else when his hot breath was fanning against your neck, making your heart beat at a million miles per second.

He quickly pulled away once he realized what he was doing, cheeks flushing a bright red and struggling to speak.

"I-I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that, I really should go," he spluttered, "see you on Sunday."

"Y-yeah, see you..."

After he left, you let out an exhale that you didn't even know you'd been holding in the entire time. You sunk down towards the floor with your back pressed against the wall, a hand sliding down your face as you mentally slapped yourself for what had just happened.

"Y/N, why's your face so pink?" Clint questioned as he walked into the kitchen, taking a seat next to you at the kitchen island after pouring himself some coffee, taking a sip. "Are you okay?"

"I-it's hot," you lied, pretending to fan yourself.

"You're hot? It's pretty cold in here, what do you mean?" he tilted his head in confusion and put a hand to your forehead. "Are you running a fever or something? Your body temperature seems pretty normal."

"No, I'm fine," you chuckled, but your laugh fell short. "Well...actually..."

"What's wrong?"

"Peter."

"Ohhhhhhh," his mouth formed a small 'O' in realization. "What about him?"

"We almost kissed," you muttered under your breath, anxiously fidgeting with your hands. "I don't know what happened. One moment we were just having a normal conversation, and the next...I don't know, he kept looking at my lips and was about to kiss me, then it got really awkward and he left."

"Awwww, that's so adorable, two of my precious superhero babies falling in love," he cooed.

"Clint, really?" You let your face fall into your hands. "This wasn't supposed to happen. I wasn't supposed to fall in love with him. I don't want to. And now..."