.19

"You know where to find me,
When you're on your way out...
All bustle and busy,
Enough is enough.
Because life's sweet assemblages,
Equate to driftwood away,
Be still with me."

* * *

   Darryl ran to his room, going through his coat pockets. It had to be here, it had to!
   He fiddled through stray strands of hay and pebbles that he had accidentally gathered along the way, mixed in with a few useless quarters and such.
   Finally, with a relived smile, he pulled out a business card. Specifically, Schlatt & Co.'s Business Card. He had managed to grab it while he was waiting for Zak to wake up so long ago. Hey, what if they had actually been able to save his life? Those nurses could've actually been useful.
   Which they were, of course.
   The other four lingered outside of the doorframe, peeking in every now and then as Darryl shuffled around. As he then turned around, Darryl could sense their uncertainty- but he would prove to be of help yet again.
   "I snatched one of their cards! Now we can contact them!" He whispered excitedly. Zak was the first to react to this news, appearing rather confused. He shifted awkwardly, trying to find the best words to use.

   "Wait, so what's happening? They're coming to us? We should meet somewhere in the middle- I- what is this plan? Do we even have a plan?"

  Vincent forced a cough. "Zak- You, Mega, and Zelk are going to this midway point that's about an hour away, while Bad and I'll stay here."
   "Okay so- thanks for informing me of that before hand. What do we do when we find them?"
   "Ask them for help?"
   "Vincent, they literally experimented on me." Zak deadpanned.
   "And saved your life."
   "Oh my gooooood." Zak groaned, eventually complying. "Fine, but you guys better be doing something productive when I get back." He made an effort to eye both Vincent and Darryl. "And actually be alive, maybe?"
   "Pft, okay mom." Vincent chuckled, heading towards his room, Darryl following from behind.
   "Where are you two going?"
   Vincent peeked out of his doorframe. "Radio- We've gotta contact them somehow." He shrugged.
   "With a radio...?" Zelk snickered, handing Darryl's business card to Vincent. "How will you even... You know what, I won't ask."
   "I have my ways."
   "Suuuure."
   Mega nudged Zelk, and signed a few quick words to him. Zelk's expression turned sour then.
   "Yeah." He answered, turning to Zak as Vincent and Darryl closed their bedroom's door, leaving the three alone. "Zak- We should get ready."
   Zelk could already sense Zak's uneasiness, and wanted to encourage him at least the slightest bit.
   "Hey, Mega and I have got your back, we always have."
   "Yeah, yeah, I know." He huffed. "Let's just- Let's just get ready, assuming they can convince these murderous nurses to save my life again."
   "Zak, you seem to be continuously forgetting that you'd have been dead if it weren't for them."
   Zak didn't respond at this point, only staring directly at the other two.
   "Sure."

* * *

   "Hello?"
   A confident, empowering voice came through the stero; loud and clear. It wasn't Russian, nor was it quite that timid and soft. This voice was unfamiliar- not like the previous nurses that Darryl had known before.
   "Hello. My name is Lydia Leaonti, and you are calling Schlatt & Co.'s Mid-Floridan Hospital. How may I help you?"

  Darryl sighed in relief, but it wasn't long before Vincent reminded him to stay on track, nudging him.
   "Y-Yes. Uhm, are you familiar with the current... epidemic, that's been traveling around?"
   "Yes sir, are you in need of assistance? We have experienced emergency workers that can remove limbs of said infections."
   "N-Not quite. Did- Did you ever have a Zak Carder stop by recently...?"
   This 'Lydia' paused a moment, and Darryl swore he could hear the flipping of pages across the line. Finally, she broke the short silence.
   "Yes. He was our first case."
   "We were wondering if you- if somebody could help him? His neck is all discolored and-"
   "So he hasn't deceased?"
   "N-No."
   "Where do you live?"
   Vincent turned to Darryl, glaring. Right. Of course he couldn't reveal any personal information to this random lady- they hurt Zak, right? They had to meet at some halfway point. Got it.
   "...Texas."
   Her voice turned more demanding and lower now. Almost secretive in a way.
   "I traced your signal." She whispered at last. "You know where to find us. If you really need our help, you'd better get out of Texas, and fast."
   And then...
   The call ended.
   Vincent was the first to speak up.
   "Looks like those three are gonna be traveling longer than they think."
   "We're still sending them out there?!"
   "Got any other bright ideas...?"
   Darryl sighed. He didn't, really. "Mm... No."
   "Hey, they'll be okay. Especially because Zak's got Zelk and Mega on his side. Those two are like samurais. You should see them."
   This sure lightened up the mood, leaving Bad giggling. "Alright, but how do we plan to get them there?"
   "They'll follow the train tracks."
   ...A plan was in the making of being revised.
   Zak, Mega and Zelk would pack hopefully enough food to last, and follow the train tracks together. Between the three, they would have three backpacks full of materials other than food as well- as much as they could fit in fact. And of course, let's not forget our signature weapons...
   Zak; machete in hand.
   Mega, a pistol.
   And Zelk, with an axe.

* * *

   "You three look so perfect!" Darryl smiled, applauding his and Vincent's work. He almost had forgotten that soon, he would be left alone with only one of his friends, while the other three left for days without any form of contact.
   How enjoyable.
   "You guys know to keep an eye- no- keep BOTH eyes out at all times, right?" Darryl's outlook had switched completely, Zak rolling his eyes.
   "Here we go again..."
   "Skeppy! I'm just... worried. Of course I'm worried. You guys are my friends-"
   "Bad." Zelk reassured. "We'll take care of ourselves, and we'll be careful, alright?"
   Darryl nodded, trying not to seem as anxious as before, although his anxiety was still skyrocketing. He felt like a mother seeing her children leave for their first day of school, except that it was the zombie apocalypse and his friends were going on some dangerous journey.
   He'd give being a mom over this any day.
   "Okay, okay. Just- Remember to contact us if you muffins ever get any sort of cellphone signal."
   Mega nodded, walking towards their front door. They were actually doing this.
   Hell, how many times would that exact phrase go through Darryl's mind...?
   Three people left.
   Two.
   One.
   "Zak-"
   Zak turned, engulfing his two best friends in a quick, but tight hug. "I'll be careful, I know, I know. No matter what, we're still The Trio, mkay?"
   Vincent nodded back, along with Bad sighing in relief. "Still The Trio."
   ...
   Zero.