.8

• "Nothing can live up to promise,
Nothing can stop it's narrative.
Nothing in place of catalysts,
And you'll never be pure again."

* * *

Vincent rubbed his eyes, the sun's bright light leaking into Darryl's bedroom. He yawned, pulling Darryl closer to his chest, not interested in getting up.
Almost as if just on queue, Darryl adjusted a bit, fluttering his eyes open.
"Mmm... Vince?"
"Yeah?"
"Just checking to see if you're awake."
Vince leaned up, stretching. "Aaa- hey, what time is it?" Darryl glanced over at his digital clock.
"About a quarter after 11, why?"
Vincent froze for a moment, he didn't think he would sleep in that long, Jesus. He let his body fall right back down, and stared up at the ivory ceiling. Today felt a bit more fresh, a bit more warm. Today felt like it was gonna be a good day, and boy did they have a lot do.
"Whatchu thinkin' about, Muffin?" Darryl rolled around, facing Vincent. Honestly, what wasn't Vincent thinking about at this point. Today he was going to be positive however, seeing the light in every conflict. Zak would hopefully be awake by the time they returned to the hospital, and that was only twenty minutes away. Best to get up and at it now though, he couldn't just sleep the entire day, as much as he wanted to.
"Bad, today is gonna be a good day."
"I'm gonna take that as a good, hehe!"
Vincent leaned up, and stepped out of bed, as did Darryl. He huffed, realizing his first problem of the day, the first shitty thing to mess his entire mood up. And it was actually pretty serious. He felt tears well up in his eyes.
Ugh. He wanted to make breakfast, but Vincent was almost certain that Darryl wanted to visit that bakery in town.
Truly, one of the worst things that could happen all day.
"Baaaad~" Vincent whined, walking out of his room, into the kitchen. Somehow, Darryl was already over by the coffee machine, preparing a mug.
"A6deeee~?" Darryl mocked, as Vincent opened the fridge, grabbing a few eggs.
"Can I make breakfast this morning?"
"Oh! That sounds good."
They both went silent for a few seconds, Vincent held his breath. Please don't say it, please don't say it...
"Aw, but what about that bakery down the roa-"
"NOOOO-" Vincent fake sobbed, getting a bowl out of the cupboard, and retrieving some cheese from the fridge. Eggs were always good with some melted cheese in them. Gahh, just thinking about it...
"Fine, Vincent. You can cook us breakfast." Darryl smirked, helping Vincent out by grabbing a pan.

* * *

"Oh my goodness Vince, this is delicious!" Darryl smiled, taking another bite of the scrambled eggs. Vincent took a bite of his toast, glancing at the sky outside. It was beautiful. Today would be a good day.
"I'm gonna go shower and freshen up after, okay?" Darryl said, swallowing another sip of coffee.
"Me too, I'll wash the dishes and shower after."
Eventually, the two finished their breakfasts, and Darryl headed to the bathroom. Vincent walked over, began to wash the plates. As he was picking up Darryl's mug however, his soapy hands slipped, and the mug shattered across the floor.
Shit.
He swept up the pieces, dumping the shards into their garbage can.

* * *

"Do you think Zak will like the flowers we got him? I hope he does." Darryl glanced out the window from the passenger seat. He held a bouquet of various light blue and white roses.
"I know he will, he's gotta be awake by now anyways." Assured Vincent. As soon as Zak saw them, Vincent and Darryl were gonna run right over and hug him.
"Vincent, you remembered your switchblade, right?"
"Oh, you mean the kitchen knife?"
Darryl turned his head to Vincent, in shock. "Vinny, are you insane?! You can't just casually bright kitchen knife wherever you go."
"Can I remind you what weapon I used to save your life with?"
Darryl huffed, switching his focus back to the sky above. "Fine, but goodness A6d, don't bring it into the hospital."
"I won't."
Vincent pulled up the building, taking a deep breath in and out. Darryl rubbed his back as he parked.
"Listen, it's okay. We're going in together, alright Vince?"
Vincent nodded, sighing. Darryl and him climbed out of the car, and Vincent locked the doors shut. He grabbed Darryl's left hand, the one he wasn't using to hold the bouquet of roses. He really hoped Zak was awake.
The two, squeezing each other's hands, walking into the hospital. Darryl walked up to the front desk, but Vincent couldn't focus on what they were saying. What room was Zak again? Oh god, what if they can't even see him?
Darryl returned to Vincent's side, smiling. "Alrighty Vinny, room 214, okay?" He sighed in both annoyance of the number, but hey, they were seeing Zak.
Darryl and Vincent walked over to the room, and Darryl turned to Vince. He nodded his head, and Vincent lightly knocked on the wooden door three times.
Knock, knock, knock.

"Huh- come in!"
Zak.

Darryl almost slammed open the door, wow, and raced over, hugging Zak, the bouquet of flowers still in his hand. Vincent swore his saw a tear drop from Darryl's cheek.
Vincent slowly walked in, taking note of his surroundings. Something was pumping blood into Zak, and there was a heart monitor. He had those weird breathing tubes in his nose too. A bunch of other stuff as well, but then, all Vincent could focus on was Zak. Oh god, Zak.
Vincent almost got whiplash from tuning around, and raced to Zak's bed, engulfing both him and Darryl into a very tight hug.
"I love you both so much-" He shuddered, feeling a wave of relief pour down on him.
Zak chuckled awkwardly. "I love you two- too. Hehe."
But we didn't stop hugging, and that's when Zak noticed us crying.
"Woah woah woah- are you two okay?! What happened?" Zak questioned nervously. Darryl tried to hold it in, but a sob escaped his mouth. He looked up, smiling, tears pricking his eyes.
"We- we- we didn't want to- to lose you- I thought you were gonna- gonna-"
"Oh my god- Bad?! Dude, I'm not going anywhere, you too A6d. I love you guys, why would I wanna leave my best friends anyways? I'd rather be stuck in a zombie apocalypse with my two best friends than... You know." Darryl then pulled away, handing Zak the bouquet of white, blue, and navy roses.
"Oh wow, you guys really went all- all out for this- heheh." Zak chuckled.
Darryl and Zak began to tak some more, but Vincent drew back. He stayed quiet. He let them talk.
But he still had one question.
And man, was that answered RIGHT on time.