.16

• "You'll never see me do the tango...
Maybe after hell has froze...
Really, simply, not a dancer...
You'll never see me biting on a rose..."

* * *

"I've been waiting for a moment like this forever."
"What, to rob a grocery store?" Dave smirked, reloading his shotgun. They needed to loot themselves before night rang in, preferably weapons that weren't kitchen knives. Darryl was making a list of materials they'd probably need, well, would need. Food, water, first aid kits and such.
"Yeah! We've been on the run and scared, well, not that I was scared. But finally, a chance to freely explore n' stuff." Zak paused, as if to question what he was even feeling. "Not that I wanna break the law or anything—"
"You're hungry."
Zak turned to Dave, who'd just finished preparing his gear. "Hungry...?"
"You're so sick of being caught in it all. This. It feels like the world is forcing you down, making you submit to it's evils. But you can't, you won't." Dave almost seemed to be talking to both himself and Zak. "Because this is your life." He stood up, and took a few steps to Zak, so close. Zak swore he could hear Dave's heavy breathing, and felt his entire body shiver slightly in response. "So you're hungry. You want to regain the upper hand, not let it stop you."
Zak peered over at Darryl and Vincent, just to make sure they weren't drawn in to Dave and his' conversation. When he looked back at Dave, he was caught off guard when he seemingly was gesturing to Zak's neck. It was discolored for sure, but he hadn't really got a good look at himself since that hospital. He could use the camera on his phone, but in all honesty, wasn't really interested.
"This doesn't define you."
Zak nodded. He wasn't sure why Dave was acting so serious, Zak wasn't scared. Dave couldn't see through him, because he wasn't afraid, he wasn't unsure of the world.
Is what Zak told himself. God, Dave was clever.
He must've been thinking to himself for a little while, because Dave took a step back smirking.
"What?" Zak felt his face flush up.
"Nothing."
Darryl stood up, adjusting his shoulders as he flung a brown bag onto his back. Vincent glanced up, and stretched as he followed Darryl; bag over back.
"We need coats, if we are gonna go up north." Vincent perked up, looking to Dave. "Assuming that you'll join us."
Dave pondered for a moment. "Normally I'd think longer, but it's probably more smart to stick together than alone."
He stepped out of the ally, and the three made their way to a partially robbed supermarket.

* * *

"So uh... Tech- Dave- Uh-" Zak mentally cursed himself. He was most definitely, NOT slick. "Yes- Uhm, what uh, what weapons do you recommend...?" And yes, that was a totally normal sentence to say out loud.
"

Hmm. What do you know?"
"Uh." Well shit, he didn't exactly know anything. "I haven't gone to college yet."
"No, I mean like weapons. You know, pistols, rifles, the usual."
Zak leaned against one of the isles, trying to look as causal as possible. "Oh, you know, knifes. Anything that doesn't require skill."
Techno chuckled. "It all requires skill. I think I know what you're getting at- you don't use guns- stuff like that."
Zak nodded, adverting his gaze.