Mia on a Mission

A week passed since the holidays were over and Amelia's parents were back in town and back home after almost two weeks abroad. Amelia sat at the dining table with her parents during lunch lost in her own thoughts, playing with the food on her plate.

"Amelia dear, is something the matter?" Her mother asked.

Amelia blinked away her reverie and shook her head. "No, all good."

"It's just you haven't spoken much since we arrived back and you're playing with your food instead of eating.." Her mother said eyeing her sceptically.

Amelia sighed. "I'm just thinking, that's it."

"Penny for your thoughts?" Her father asked as he took a bite from his fork.

Amelia was lost in her thoughts about Brady and how magical the last couple of weeks with him had been, she was missing him and not just him but his aunts cooking as well. She seen him the previous day but it felt like forever since she seen his face.

"The staff tell me you were barely home these holidays, where were you spending all your time?" Her mother asked.

"I told you mom, I was with Brady and his family." Amelia answered casually.

Chantel pulled her face at the mention of Brady's name not hiding her dislike towards the man her daughter was seeing.

Amelia noticed but chose to ignore it and take a bite from her healthy, slightly bland food.

"I take it his mother has been cooking for you too? The pounds you've gained prove that you haven't been eating healthy." Chantel causally remarked.

Amelia sighed, she was used to her mother always judging her and judging her weight and her appearance.

"Brady doesn't have a mom, he lives with his aunt and his sister. You'd know this if you actually took interest in my life and found out more about the man I'm seeing." Amelia said coolly.

"If I see you having a future with him I'd take an interest." Chantel said bitterly.

Amelia was growing annoyed. "For your kind information mother, I care very deeply for him."

Her mother scoffed. "The very same way you cared for Jeffery your parrot and Pugsly your dog. The staff had to tend to them after the excitement of having a pet died down. It was just a phase and I'm being quiet with Brady as well thinking it to be entertaining another phase of yours."

Amelia dropped her fork harshly onto her plate and stood up.

"I will not have you disrespect my relationship in that way mother, I'm not longer a littler girl whom you can control. And for your kind information I happen to feel very comfortable and like the way my body is so I'll appreciate if you stop taking a pick at me every-time I gain a pound or two, I'm human not a robot that can be perfect. Besides you don't see me counting every little grey hair I see on your head or point out any new eye wrinkles do you?"

"Do not forget who you're talking to young lady! I am your mother and whatever I do or say is for your best interest! I am a good judge of character and I can tell he's no good for you, you're already fighting your own blood for him. When last have you spent time with your father? All you ever do is spend time with that ruffian!" Chantel said with her voice raising.

Amelia humourlessly laughed. "Good judge of character? Mom I'd look closer to home if I were you when it comes to judging character, your biggest culprit could be living under your nose." She said as she eyed her father who shifted uncomfortably in his seat.