A little Chivalry

"I'm telling you Lea, you're missing out big time." Hillary told Amelia as the two of them sat crossed legged in Amelia's bedroom on her bed. "College has to be the best years of one's life; I mean I'm having the time of my life."

"Hmm." Was Amelia's simple response as she gazed out her window, paying more attention to the dry leaves falling off the trees rather than what Hillary was saying.

"Oh my God, that's a great idea, why don't you do it?" Hillary exclaimed excitedly. "Why didn't I think of it earlier?"

"What do you say?" Hillary asked Amelia.

Amelia didn't quite hear what she was saying until Hillary gave her a little shake. Amelia blinked and looked at her best friends wide eyes. "Huh?"

"A penny for your thoughts?" Hillary said.

"I don't have any pennies, only hundred dollar bills sweetie." Amelia winked.

"Very funny Amelia." Hillary rolled her eyes. "Seriously, have you even heard a word I just said to you?"

"Of course." Amelia lied.

"Okay so then you agree?" Hillary asked.

Amelia had no idea what Hillary was referring to but she wasn't going to get caught lying so she decided to just go with it. "Yeah, sure." She smiled.

Hillary looked at her curiously. "Great so I'll tell Hugh to book out the restaurant to give you two some privacy for the proposal."

Amelia's eyes widened. "What?" she choked. "P-proposal? Hugh? What the hell are you saying?"

Hillary looked at her smugly. "I knew it, you weren't listening."

Amelia looked at her sheepishly. "I'm sorry; my mind is elsewhere these days it seems."

"Clearly." Hillary agreed. "Something you want to talk about?"

It had been close to a month since Amelia last saw Brady; despite still tutoring Lily she didn't see Brady. Brady was serious this time when he said they should stay out of each other's lives because he insisted that if Lily still wanted Amelia to tutor her, Lily should go to Amelia's place and that's how it's been for nearly a month.

Amelia knew she shouldn't feel bad or even be bothered by cutting off ties with Brady simply because there were no ties to begin, she convinced herself that she didn't care but she failed. She did care and she didn't know why, she couldn't understand why she felt sort of empty, as if something was lacking in her life, after all she only knew Brady for a little while yet she just couldn't be her old normal self again.

She hardly ever left her house or room, she barely spoke to anyone, it was as if she was going through a painful breakup, which was ridiculous because she obviously wasn't.

Amelia smiled and shook her head. "Nope, it's nothing important."

"Are you sure?" Hillary raised a brow. "You haven't seemed to be yourself for a while; I mean you've been very nice to me."

Amelia rolled her eyes. "You're just overthinking it, like you do with everything."

Hillary let out a breath. "Well if you ever feel like-"

"Yeah yeah, I know, you're there." Amelia cut her off. "Now what were you saying earlier?"

"Right, I was telling you how awesome college life is and I thought that you could maybe join second semester." Hillary suggested.

"So it had nothing to do with Hugh and a proposal right?" Amelia asked.

Hillary laughed. "Of course not. I was just testing to see if you heard me."