The First Date

"You look rather lovely Miss Stanton." Stan complimented Amelia as she stood by the fountain that sat near the entrance of her house.

"Thank you." Amelia smiled at the old man.

Amelia looked down at her pastel yellow, knee length body-con dress, matched with white pumps and a white coat as the days were drawing colder.

"Would you like for me to drop you somewhere?" Stan asked.

Amelia shook her head. "No thank you, someone is picking me up."

"Alright then, shall I wait with you?" Stan asked politely.

Amelia shook her head. "No thank you, I'll be off any time now."

"Very well." Stan smiled. "Enjoy the rest of your day."

"You too." Amelia responded with a grin.

Amelia glanced at her watch and it was a little after two pm and Brady said he would be there around two or so. Amelia was early she knew but she couldn't help it, she was pretty much nervous and a little excited for this 'friendship date' with Brady.

"I wonder if he got my text." Amelia thought out loud as she read over the text she sent to Brady.

'Instead of driving in, rather text me when you're here and I'll meet you at the gate.'

What if he got offended by that text? What if he thought I was embarrassed for him to be seen on my property and he decided to not come at all? I mean he didn't even respond to the text.

Amelia glanced at her watch again and it was already fifteen minutes after two, that was pretty late but she decided that if he didn't arrive by two thirty one, she would go back inside and consider that the 'date' was called off.

The clock ticked and for Amelia each second fell like forever, she didn't understand why she was so anxious, she's been on many dates and real dates not an 'as friends' thing but this date was the first that made her feel on edge.

She looked at her watch again and only five minutes had passed. She let out a breath, "eleven minutes more and I'm going back inside." She murmured to herself.

A minute or two passed when her phone vibrated, her heartbeat quickened by a fraction as she reached for her purse and grabbed her phone.

'Here'

The text was from Brady and Amelia found herself letting out a breath of relief and smiling to herself. She put her phone back in her purse and made her way down the long driveway towards the front gate.

When she reached the gate, the guard opened it for her and she saw Brady's truck idling just outside.

Amelia thought for a second that Brady might get out of the truck and open the passenger door for her but logic kicked in and she knew better, after all she was dealing with Brady Ryland and she knew he didn't even know the meaning of chivalry. So rolling her eyes at him she opened the door herself and got in.

"Hi." She greeted politely with a small smile as she took a moment to scrutinize Brady's attire which consisted of a simple pair of black jeans with a plain white t-shirt underneath a dark denim jacket - which looked a little worn out. Amelia wondered if she overdressed but then she remembered that it was Brady she was with so maybe he was just underdressed as usual.

"Hey." Brady greeted back but he didn't return the smile. "Buckled up?" he asked.

She frowned. "Huh?"

"Wear your seatbelt so I can drive, I don't want to be the reason for your death." He answered in true Brady style.

"Oh, yeah. Okay." She responded and as soon as her seatbelt was on Brady put the truck on gear and drove off.