xxxix

jeongin and chan sat down next to a hospital bed as the aussie held onto woojin's hand. the psychic was barely breathing as his chest rosed very slowly.

deep into their meeting, mark had bursted in and explained that emerald city had been attacked.

panic took over as estes ordered his soldiers to scout the city and look for felix— who had been the perpetrator of the attack, and silence him.

they were also informed that woojin had been the objective of the invasion according to what daewhi had said, when donghyun took a while to come back he had saw the brutal assault that took place.

luckily he had made it there on time and managed to save his master.

donghyun, however. wasn't so lucky.

the boy had bled to death, his body was limp and pale by the time daewhi had got there.

"i hate how this keeps happening." jeongin sighed as he rested his head onto chan's side.

the aussie immediately wrapped an arm around him in an attempt to give the boy comfort, chan kissed the side of his head, "this is the price of war bubba, we have no choice but to live with it."

"why does it have to be woojin though? a-and donghyun, ohmygod, hyung h-he was so young and-" jeongin sniffed as chan shushed him as he gently wiped the boy's tears with his thumbs.

chan made the prince look at him, he slowly cupped the boy's face as his gaze met jeongin's, "baby, calm down okay? we'll avenge them yeah?" he took a look at the psychic before he faced jeongin again, "we're gonna win this fight."

everyone wore black as a casket was slowly lowered into the ground. everyone was silent as the shaman recited incantations as donghyun's body was being buried.

daewhi sobbed hard as he buried his face onto jisung's chest, the boy was broken. donghyun was dead, and woojin was in a coma. everything and everyone he revolved around was gone.

he didn't have a purpose anymore, it broke him to think that he was now alone in this world.

"d-daedae?" he heard someone call him.

he slowly detached himself from jisung as he wiped his tears from his face, "yeji?"

yeji gave him a small smile, "i- we came as soon as we could. i- i know it's a dumb question to ask but are you okay?"

"n-no, not really." daewhi sighed, "it's just that he was my bestfriend you know? a-and now he's gone."

yeji listened to him talk as she slowly grabbed his hands as she held onto them, "you're gonna be okay? okay? i'm here, we can help eachother."

"thank you," daewhi sniffed, "that really means a lot to me."

"ofcourse, you're family after all." yeji said softlly as daewhi chuckled a bit.

"speaking of family, where's your mom?" the boy asked as yeji gave him a huge smile, "she's with my brother right now."

"she's DEAD?"

"yes! wait— NO!" yeji screamed as she swatted at the boy's shoulder making him laugh.

once the laughter died down, daewhi gave her small smile, "i guess she's finally found him huh?"

"yeah."

"well, atleast one of us has a happily ever after."

mrs. hwang leaned against a tree as she watched her missing boy, sam— you know what? let's just call him hyunjin.

anyways, she watched hyunjin sit as he stared out onto a river, she couldn't help but tear up when she realized that who she was looking for all this time was just right here.

her emotions were all over the place, she was feeling all different sorts of highs and it was understandable.

she finally found her son.

"hey, bubba." she greeted as she sat down next to him, hyunjin hummed a reply before she asked, "is anything okay sweetie?"

"oh, nothing. it's just that everyone's losing a person they love. we lost changbin and donghyun already and the war has barely begun, felix betrayed us. i'm just worried of what's to happen next." hyunjin sighed.

mrs. hwang slowly held his hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze, "oh bubba, i'm sorry. this must be really hard for you."

hyunjin let out a humorless chuckle as he ran his free hand through his hair, "you'd think someone who lost everyone would be used to it by now huh? but no."

mrs. hwang's heart cracked at that as she saw how. vulnerable hyunjin is, how hurt and how everything seemed to have piled onto one another on his shoulders and he's finally feeling the pressure.

hyunjin bit back a sob as he continued to speak, "i- i just wish my mom was here ya know? i want someone to be there for me, someone who could listen to everything what i have to say and t-tell me everything will be okay."

"i really miss her, even if i don't have the slightest idea of what she looks like or how we bonded before. i just want her back in my life so we could catch up on what we've lost."

mrs. hwang couldn't contain herself anymore as she finally released the tears she didn't know she was holding back cascade down her cheeks as she pulled him in for a hug.

hyunjin was surprised at this but he was quick to hug back, "m-mom? are you okay?"

having heard hyunjin call her mom made her cry even more as she kept mumbling, "m-my sweet boy. m-my big brave soldier."

"d-do you remember what we talked about back when we first crossed paths?" mrs. hwang asked tearfully as she caressed hyunjin's face tenderly, "a-about what your mom would say when you guys meet eachother?"

hyunjin's eyes widened, his heartbeat quickening as he slowly put everything together.

"i know he's out there somewhere, he probably needs my help, he's probably cold and wandering the streets for years now trying to find his way. i hope he grew up to be a strong and brave boy." she continued.

"is that why you were out there at a time like this? y-you were hoping to find him walking along the streets?" hyunjin asked softly, and she nodded,

"i believe he's here somewhere and i just have to keep looking. tell him that mommy and yeji are okay, and that we can be a happy family again."

"must be nice to have a family," hyunjin noted as he pressed on his cheek again, "i never knew who my parents were and the only one who raised me was minho hyung."

"i guess we don't differ that much hmm?" mrs. hwang noted as to which hyunjin agreed to.

there was silence until hyunjin looked at her and said, "w-what do you think my mom would say when she sees me? if she's still alive that is?"

mrs. hwang smiled and cupped her other cheek, she caressed it tenderly and spoke, "i think she'd be very proud to see her boy grow up to be such a strong, brave, and handsome man."

"y-you're?" hyunjin stuttered as mrs. hwang gave him the biggest smile she has ever made for the first time in years,

"welcome home, son."

BITCH I WAS SO EMOTIONAL WRITING ABOUT THAT SCENE FJSJDBSKSBS LIKE OHMYGOD THE HWANGS ARE BACK!! IM SO HAPPY

ALSO GOOD NEWS!! WE ARE ALMOST DONE WITH THIS BOOK SO BUCKLE UP SISTERS THINGS ARE GONNA GET HOT 😫😫😫

BOOK ENDING = NEW BOOK COMING!!

KFHSKF THANKS FOR READING!!

- FERDS