Nightmare gaped, completely baffled and speechless, as the doctor continued. "Either he's in a stressful environment, or this is just a fluke." Absently, Cross rubbed his chest as a dull emptiness formed. This was his fault, wasn't it? "I recommend a therapist. Fluke or not, this is a concerning development. It could stem from something beyond daily life, such as traumas or disorders." Nightmare glanced at Cross, who was now massaging his throat. It was a nervous habit that'd gotten from his mother. Cross cleared his throat, and gave a tight frown, glancing at Nightmare when he answered. "...I'll take the therapist." The doctor nodded, typing away at his computer and muttering under his breath. He turned to Cross once he finished, smiling. "If they find anything, we may have to consider scheduling sessions."

A few minutes later, Cross was quietly following Nightmare and listening to his complaints. "High levels of emotional distress? Getting worse?!" Cross stayed silent, flinched ever so slightly at each infuriated growl. His mouth had gone dry, and a headache was forming. Nightmare glared at the ground, kicking at rocks and sending dirt flying. "I don't want to take care of some- some street rat!" Cross stopped and stared at him, sockets wide and tears forming. Street rat. A street rat. A shudder rippled through his body, shaking the tears free. Cross quickly wiped them and pulled his hood on, hiding his face behind his scarf. Nightmare ignored him, still upset, and demanding to know what was wrong with Cross. Once they reached the truck, Cross climbed into the back of the vehicle instead of sitting inside like he always did. He didn't want to annoy Nightmare further.

"Yo, what the fuck are you doing?" Cross froze, pausing mid-sit. Nightmare raised a brow at him, noting that Cross's face was hidden from him. Cross's hand, which had been holding up his scarf, dropped limply and curled around the truck's edge. He swallowed the lump in his throat and forced himself to speak. "I.. I'm sitting in the back..." Nightmare huffed and rolled his eyelight. "Why are you sitting in the back?" Cross kept his gaze averted, "I, uh..You're mad.. I, I thought this would...help.."

Cross's free hand reached up to latch onto his throat, his voice going silent. Nightmare's tendrils, which had been lashing in agitation, slowed and he stared at Cross. "...Seriously? Are you that stupid?" Cross twitched, not sure how to respond. "I... I guess...?" Nightmare scoffed and shook his head. "Get down here. You're going to get cold and I don't feel like letting you get sick." Cross quickly obeyed, nearly falling in his rush to get down.

---------

By the time they got back to the house, Nightmare had calmed and was ready to nap. Cross was just eager to hide in his room. Like he had been doing for a while now. He'd gotten to the porch first, and he'd darted inside before Nightmare did. Hours later, when Nightmare had woken up from his nap, he'd gotten up to get something to drink. Killer and Dream hung out in the living room when they were home, so neither of them knew where Cross or Nightmare were. Killer had checked on Cross when he'd gotten back from school, and he'd found his parent sleeping. He assumed that he was still sleeping, and Dream believed the same for his brother. Nightmare's room was on the other side of the house, so he hardly ever ran into Cross unless they were both in the hallway. So far, Cross had managed to stay out of sight. Until today.

It was nearly eight in the afternoon. Cross had promised to make dinner again, and he was going to do just that. That is, after he finished his very important call.
"What's the color scheme again?" The call was going great. He was just a little annoyed. Dust was supposed to be taking notes. "I've told you four times. Red, white, and dark blue."
"Cross, that doesn't match." Cross wanted to slap the crime lord. Those colors matched, his ally was just stupid. "Matching or not, they're Killer's favorite colors, and you're going to use them." Dust huffed and grumbled under his breath. "Alright."