Chapter 15: Alliance

(Harper's pov)

It took some weeks to arrive at our destination, due to the British forces spread out across all of the West Indies, some of these British forces were from the Carolina, Massachusetts and Boston colonies, according to my spies. So we had to keep moving and misdirect our enemies from picking up our trail, because if they tracked us to Sharks-lane Isle? The inhabitants there would kill us why before the British could.

But finally, we had reached our destination and it truly was a sight to behold.

A massive island that seemed to stretch as far as the eye could see, there were no signs of life as of yet, but no doubt the inhabitants of this island could spot our pirate fleet entering their territory on the water, which is why when we deploy our forces on the sand? We'd need to be extremely careful and show no signs of hostility towards these people, they were once slaves and suffered the most horrific experiences of their lives while still in slavery.

Before touching down on the sand, I was bringing Tau, Caesar and a handful of African pirates who sailed with me to show the maroons of Sharks-lane that I can be trusted and that myself and my pirate brethren mean them no harm at all.

Upon my orders, I instructed the rest of the fleet to remain on the water and gather their rest, while I would take my African friends and allies to go see Red Death, queen of the maroons at Sharks-lane and see if we can forge an alliance with her and her people. I was currently watching my allies board a longboat, I was dressed in my sleek black leather jacket, crimson tunic, black leather pants and boot cover my right leg, inspecting my prosthetic, I've modified the leg with handfuls of useful purposes if I am ever caught in a dicy situation.

Just as I was about to board, a strong hand placed itself on my shoulder, turning around, I smile warmly at the sight of Madison, she returns my smile and murmurs against my lips. "Please be safe." I nod into her cheek and murmur back. "I will, promise." Pressing my lips to her cheek, I pull away from her and look into her stunning green eyes, she gives me a firm nod at my words and quickly pecks my lips. Behind her stood my vanguard, I nod at them and give them orders. "Ensure the Night Fury is secure and inform the fleet to watch the horizon. I'd hate for British forces to find us here and then the maroons blame us for bringing them here." My friends nodded and reassured me that all would be well in my absence.

Once boarding the longboat with my African allies, we were then lowered until the longboat touched down on the water. Manning the oars to our longboat, we then row ourselves to the sand, whilst rowing, I turn to Caesar and cock my head in question to the man. "You know the stories and reputation of Red Death better than anyone, what do you make of her?" The hulking pirate snorted at my words and shrugged. "Like all African people in the West Indies, she suffered unimaginable labor as a slave, she was used a whore by the taskmasters in the dead of night and when she'd resisted her masters? They inflict unimaginable torture on her flesh— whippings, branding and beatings."

"This woman will hold great hatred towards men with your skin color my friend." Tau stated at me, Caesar hummed in agreement and sighed out. "There is no telling what will await us once we touch down on the sand, but one thing is certain. We will be surrounded by men, women and children will fight tooth and nail to secure their freedom." About ten minutes later, we touched down on the sand and ensured our longboat was on the beach and out of the water so that it wouldn't drift away. Exiting the longboat, I look straight ahead and see grasslands that lead into thick, dense forests, turning to Tau and Caesar, I ask. "I think it wise for them to take us to Red Death, this is their land and we don't know if the forest is booby trapped." The two men hum in agreement, and as soon as I made that suggestion, an arrow lands mere inches away from my right foot, causing me to inhale sharply and take a step back.