Chapter 5: Arriving at Haiti

(Madison's pov)

My eyes snapped opened and I gasped in horror and fright, quickly sitting up from my bed, I panted heavily and could feel beads of sweat sliding down my forehead. Placing a hand over my racing heart, I take calm and slow breaths while closing my eyes in relief that I'm no longer living in London. I had been having nightmares about my abusive marriage and wished that those awful memories would leave me alone, yet they still continue to haunt me.

I shake my head; attempt to rid myself of the awful memories of my past, whats done is done and if I continue to dwell on it? It'll ruin me.

Getting up out of the bed, I approach a water basin, grabbed a clean cloth resting on the chair by the desk in the quarters Harper provided for me and dabbed the cloth in the cool water and washed away the sweat clinging to my body. The cool water felt divine, there was always something about washing sweat or grime of my skin first thing in morning whether at a water basin or bathing that made me feel as if I could wash away my past; erase it from memory entirely and continue living my life, without the burden of my past.

If it only it were possible.

After washing away the sweat clinging to my body, I dry off and get dressed. I look at myself in a mirror and see scars littered across my by body, either from battle on the seas or from... the lunatic who was once my husband. Shaking my head once again, I finished getting dressed and make sure I look good before heading above deck, which... in all honesty? Shocked me. Ever since fleeing my abusive husband and leaving my life of privilege in London? I haven't been with any other man.

There's something about Harper that I'm deeply attracted to. Though I do find it inappropriate that I'm ten years older than him, but despite our age gap? He's more mature than any man I've ever met. Not only that, but... he actually listens to what I talk about when we have conversation, and that makes me feel good, knowing that he listens to what I'm saying, if its something utterly preposterous.

I deeply treasure the friendship Harper and I share, and the thought of scaring him off with my feelings? Its a risk I'd rather not take.

"Get a grip." I murmur to myself, we have a task at hand and I need to focus. Exiting my quarters, I make my way up the upper deck of the Night Fury and see Harper's crew manning their stations and Harper himself at the wheel of his ship with his African quarter master, Tau by his side. Another quality I find most attractive in Harper is his compassion towards the African people, he and his crew have rescued more African slaves than pirate crew ever has and Harper is fair with them as well-- giving them a chance to either join his crew and offers them opportunity to free more of their people in bondage or he simply allows them to go their separate ways to live in peace and in freedom.

I then made my way towards Harper, he and Tau had just finished having words, the quarter master of the Night Fury dismissed himself and I approached Harper, he turned his head in my direction and he gave me a warm smile that caused butterflies to swarm in my belly. "Morning Madison. I trust you slept well?" I return his warm smile and nod. "I did. Well, if it weren't for reoccurring nightmares, I would've slept soundly." Harper then whistled for one his men to take the wheel, he then gestured for me to follow him.

As we walked side by side along the deck of the Night Fury, Harper then looked out at sea to see my own ship, the Protector by our side, I have my quarter master in command for the time being and my ships is to give the Night Fury extra support. Harper then gestured to the ocean in general and spoke. "So vast, so beautiful. And yet... so deadly and cruel." Turning to me and looking right into my eyes, Harper smiled lightly and continued. "What we're about to do here? Confront a pirate that civilization calls the Devil incarnate, is no simple task. Darius Bludvist has carved out for himself reputation built on blood, violence that is almost unfathomable and through great sacrifice and hardship. Bludvist is like the sea— unpredictable. And thats his greatest advantage."