Chapter 14: Ordeal part II

(Normal pov)

"We're all dead men..." A member of Sinbad spoke while in a state of delirious. "...smote by a storm, the product of the Creators rage. We are dead men. Consigned to a place where we are no longer worthy of even the good Lord's anger and must endure His indifference." Nodding furiously at themselves, this crew member repeated. "We are dead men. Left to suffer, knowing that He no longer hears our cries, because in this place? He is absent."

As the days progressed? Every member of Sinbad's crew were suffering from delirium, hallucinations and other effects of mental and physical insanity since the rations were divided amongst those critical to sailing the Chimera once the winds returned, unfortunately about six members of Sinbad's crew could no longer suffer this fate and killed themselves, forcing the Chimera's captain and crew to bury them out a sea and causing their hope to dwindle faster than ever before.

After some of the men on board committed suicide? Those who were denied food tried raiding the food stores and taking whats left, that resulted in a skirmish between brethren beneath the black and that actually cut the Chimera's crew number in half. As the days grew darker and darker, Sinbad knew that if he didn't do something to replenish the food stores? He and the rest of the crew would go mad and possibly resort to cannibalism.

(Sinbad's pov)

Our situation was most dire, and if I didn't take action? We would all die on becalmed waters and fail in our mission to reach Ching Shih and the allies we need to further reinforce Harper and the rest of the crews from Dragon's Edge.

Currently, I was on the deck of the Chimera, shirtless and armed with a harpoon and two daggers tucked in small scabbards strapped to both my thighs. Those among my men who still had strength, brought forth a massive bell with a porthole window, I was going to go do some deep sea hunting and attempt to bring back something big that would keep us all alive. Turning towards where crew were all basking in the shade, many of them looked half dead and sickly, Marina among them.

She rested against Kale and I knew I had to take action now, I would never forgive myself if I let my love die on this ship of starvation.

Turning back to the bell, I climb on top of it and nod at my men to lower me down, once the bell submerged below the waters? I just let the bell take me deeper down. Once the bell stops halfway from hitting the sea floor? I swim inside the bell and get some air, while making sure I'm ready for this hunt.

I was preferably hunting for something big, perhaps a shark, but if there were no sharks? Then I would have to hunt as many fish as I could, something, anything that will keep us alive for the time being.

Taking a deep breath, I submerge back into the water, swim out of the bell and take on my surroundings. I could see reefs, schools of fish swimming together and several sunken ships that were now eroded, covered in seaweed and barnacles. For the sake of time and energy, I was only going to focus on drawing out larger fish. So, I took my harpoon and placed the blade on my left palm and sliced it open, causing me to grit my teeth in pain watch as my blood spread out around me and beyond.

Making my way back to the bell to get some air, I hiss in pain while gazing at my left hand, reaching into my pants pocket, I pull out my crimson cap and wrap it around my wound, but not before ensuring enough blood was in the water to attract something big. Once I ensured my wound wrapped up tight, I sighed heavily and murmured to myself. "This better work." Once again taking a deep breath, I submerge back into the water and swim to the sea floor in search of anything smaller I could catch in the meantime.

It seems the gods favored me, because in span of almost two hours, I managed to net half a dozen lobster, as well as a handful of eels. Once collecting that bounty of food, I place them in a net tucked behind the small of my back and swim back to the bell. Once entering the bell, I took deep breaths and placed the food on a built in ledge for me to climb up on and stand on, but I just placed what I caught and set it there for safe keeping.