17 - Her Advice

*Sam's POV*

I woke up due to three things.

1. The pain in my back
2. The sun glaring in my eyes
3. The roosters and birds furiously singing?

If you could even call it a song.

"Ugh, so much for no back pain."

"Good morning to you too."

"Oh, shut up." She said stretching and hitting me in the process.

"Ok! Let's get up, we have stuff to do." Now I was stretching.

"I brought 100$, to get us through while we find a job."

"Wait, we? I thought I was going to school?"

"You did both before right? You can do it again." I smirked.

"Ugh Sam~~." Once again dragging my name out.

"Quit whining, we need to find our house. Luckily, Abuela gave us this!" I pulled a dusty old photo from out my bookbag. It's a picture of the house with our parents, and me standing in front of it. Cathy was there too. Our mother was holding her stomach in the picture to show that.

"So we've been there before?" She asked finally looking decent.

"Apparently, so let's ask around. Someone's bound to know where one of them lived."

So we did, and we got various different answers, but none of them was the one we were looking for.

Until the same old lady from yesterday came to say hello, and ask us, about the picture.

Apparently she used to bring fresh bread  and milk to the house everyday, she told us of a little girl who used to open the door for her. She chuckled, but I vaguely remembered her. She showed us to the small house then started leaving, claiming the church service was about to start. We approached the house, and I lifted the picture up to it, then lowered it. Sure enough, we were here.

We got to the door and I looked over at Cathy. We both held our breaths. I put the key in and turned it. Here we go.

Immediately, huge amounts of dust hit us. It was imaginable, this place had been locked up for at least 16 years.

We walked in and the place seemed so homey, so nostalgic, so.... sad. I feel like I would have lots of happy memories here, happy, loud ones, and seeing it completely quiet and empty makes me kind of miss our family in the city.

"Ok, let's take these off." Cathy started taking off sheets from the couches, the couches under them were suprisingly clean and in good shape.

"What about the television?" I yanked off the cloth and underneath was a shockingly new TV.

  "Was dad still an importer when he was here? This must've cost quite a bit."

  "Well, maybe? The whole situation is already strange enough, so yeah."

"Wanna check the kitchen?"

"Sure."

The kitchen seemed to be in the same condition as the living room/foyer. Some of the appliances were covered with a sheet and underneath were surprisingly newer models than expected. What didn't surprise us, was how clean every single one was.

"You know how mamá would get when we left out of town, the whole house had to be spotless. Imagine her when leaving the country!" Cathy put her arms up to emphasize her point.

I chuckled, because she was right! Our mom certainly was special.

"I want to check our old rooms."

"Ooh, yeah let's do that."

So in one we went, it was painted light blue and had a big bed in the middle. Clearly our parent's room. They had a dresser and a small closet, and lots of pictures hanging around.

"This one says first date. This one says date of proposal,this one date of birth, this one date of second child, this one says date of departure..." Cathy spoke upon examining each photo, her voice got quiet at the end.

"How about we go to our room?"

   Our room was painted light pink, we took off the sheets and inside we saw it had a twin sized bed, and a crib. We had a dresser, a table next to the crib, a closet, and what most stood out, a letter, sitting neatly on the bed.

"Sam, you read it. If it's what I think it is you should read it. Do it out loud."

I nodded and held my breath. I opened it and sure enough, mother's handwriting greeted me.

Dear loves of my life,

If you're seeing this note that means something clearly went wrong and our plan didn't workout, huh?

I wonder, what age could you two be? I do hope you're here together, it is better that way.

We tried to give you the best childhood we could, that's why we left and didn't tell you, if you we told you there was a possibility you'd want to come. And if you risked coming, you wouldn't be able to go back...

But if your reading this you surely know that already?

If your in the house, check under our dresser, there's a loose floor board. Inside it contains 250$. We wanted to leave some there in case we ever got sent back.

I also left a cookbook in Cathy's drawer, seeing as I know that girl won't be able to cook for life.

She jokingly scoffed then chuckled, I continued.

I am writing this the night before our departure. We will have to cross rivers, deserts, forest, but we will make it, we're strong and you two are as well. We know life in the US is going to be hard for us and we know life in ES is going to be hard for you.

Take care of each other if you're here, and if it's not you, and just a random burglar who now has our money, I just told you our story so you can fvk off.

"She never changes." We both laughed at that one.

Take care little ones ok? Your father and I love you with all our hearts, if you guys somehow did end back there, we know you'll make it through, because we did too. 💜

                             Love,
                                    Mamá

_______________________________________________