Chapter 2: Daycare&Dinner Time

Chapter 2: Daycare& Dinner Time

Dylan pulled his car out of his driveway and started down the road. My phone vibrated.

Mom; Can you pick Aubrey up from daycare on your way home from Zoey's? I'm going out with some friends.

I sighed and mumbled "fuck"

"Whats wrong?"

"Uh.. My sister needs to be picked up from day care and Zoe wont answer me" I panicked realizing it was almost twelve. Since its saturday the day care closes earlier. My guess was mom used day care as an excuse to get drunk before eleven, as usual.

"I can take you to get her"

"No, no its fine. Really." I didn't want him finding out im 17 yet, and Aubrey may let something slip. She doesn't know any better yet.

"Jess, its fine. Where is her daycare?"

I hesitantly gave him the address and when we pulled up there were no other cars in the parking lot. I sighed. Good going, mom. I told Dylan I would be back and went in to the daycare.

"Jessi!" Aubrey screamed and ran towards me. Aubrey had on a cute pink sundress and her blonde hair was put into pig tails.

"Aubrey!" I giggled. She ran at me with so much force she almost knocked me down.

"Go get your things sweety" Mrs. Williams said. Aubrey nodded and ran to pack her tiny bookbag. "Hello, Jessica, how are you?" Mrs. Williams, the daycare instructor, asked me.

"Im great" I smiled, being completely honest.

"Um. Where's your mom?" Mrs. Williams was a sweet old lady. Even though my mother was a soft spot I knew she wasn't trying to pry. She cares about me and Aubrey and wants us to be well taken care of. We have known her since even I was in diapers.

"Working" I lied.

"Sweetheart, are you sure your okay with picking Aubrey up everyday?"

"I love Aubrey, it doesn't bother me." That was the truth, even though sometimes it keeps me from doing other things.

She nodded and looked like she was about to speak when Aubrey cut her off. "Bye Mrs. Williams! See you soon" she yelled and hugged her. I laughed. "Bye Mrs. Williams."

Me and Aubrey walked out and she held onto my hand, bouncing up and down telling me about her day. She stopped in her place as she saw Dylan waving at us from in the car.

"Who's that?" she whispered.

"My friend. Be nice" I told her. Aubrey nodded and as we got to the car I realized her booster seat is in my car at home. I sighed.

"You have to sit still and stayed buckled up, okay? We don't have your booster seat." Aubrey nodded and I got in and buckled up.

After 20 long minutes of Aubrey singing in the backseat, Dylan finally reached our house.

Aubrey leaned up and whispered in my ear "can your friend come in and play?"

"I don't think so Aubrey." I shook my head.

"Will you come play?" Aubrey asked Dylan anyways. Dylan laughed and looked at me before nodding.

~~~~~~~~~

We were sitting in the living room watching frozen 4 hours later. Dylan and Aubrey had been playing barbies before Aubrey decided it was time for frozen.

"Mommy! Im hungry!" Aubrey pouted, crossing her arms and staring at me with her big blue eyes. I saw Dylan freeze when she called me mommy. Great.

I nodded and looked to see that it was 5:30. Time for dinner anyways. I got up and went into the kitchen to make some mac'n'cheese and hotdogs. Something Aubrey loved.

"Sister, huh?" Dylan was leaning against the island. I put the hotdogs and macaroni in water to boil and turned around to face him. He had a serious look on his face.

"Why did you lie? You could have just told me she was your daughter instead of saying she was your sister." Dylan said coldly. "I don't like being lied to."

"You don't know the situation" I whispered as I turned around to stir the macaroni. I felt my eyes start to water. Dylan wrapped his arms around my waist and turned me around to face him.

"Then tell me" he whispered. I sighed.

"My mom isn't around here much and when she is she is drunk. So all of Aubrey's life she has known me as mommy."

Dylan lifted my chin with his finger so I could look at him.

"You seem like you would make a Kick-Ass mom" he said. I laughed and then he pulled me in and kissed me softly on the lips. As he did that butterflies danced around in my stomach and I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

"One question, though." he added.

"hm?" I said turning back around to grabbed the macaroni so I could drain it.

"How old are you?"