1.9

"You're kidding?"

"You're kidding?"

Rowan peers through the screen of her phone incredulously, her dark browns narrowed in suspicion as she shovels a cheez-it in her mouth.

"I wish I was, Row-" Ned starts, shrugging into the camera, "it's literally the whole talk of the school."

The girl's heart sinks, the saddened emotions at the news of Peter escorting the tanned Barbie to prom evident in her frowning features. It's a mystery why she cares so much, why she felt the crushing pangs of jealousy even though she voiced her angry opinions about Peter last week. Maybe it's because she, deep down under all that animosity, wanted that to be her; to shop for a prom dress, walk into a salon in order for the ladies to fuss over how pretty her hair is, to see her crush's reaction once he finishes the look with a corsage. It hurt Rowan to an extent where she could practically feel her heart being chipped away with an ice pick, each jab like a punch to the face.

"Oh." The young Stark whispers, clearing her throat of the emotional lump that clogs her voice, "okay. Thank you for telling me, Ned."

"That's it?" Questions Peter's best friend, " 'thank you for telling me, Ned'? What kind of half-ass excuse of dealing with the situation is that?"

"Well, what do you expect me to do?!" Shouts the avenger, "show up to the prom on my knees, begging for forgiveness? If you think that's what I'm going to do, you took one too many crazy pills this morning."

"No, no, no. Not like that, Rowan." The raven haired boy shakes his head with a sigh, "listen. Peter is in love with you. I'm talking about how Spock loves Uhura.. or Han Solo loves Princess Leia-"

"I don't have time for your nerd fantasies, Ned. I have shit to do. Get to the point." Interrupts the brunette with a sour roll of her eyes.

"Okay, okay. As I was saying, Peter has never loved someone as much as he does you, Row. And I mean it. He didn't want to take Liz, but his little spider heart was crushed by your.. argument, and he had no other choice-" starts Ned with a small, sympathetic frown, "in my opinion, I don't think Liz is good for him anyways."

Rowan stares at the boy through the screen, a skeptical look spread across her features. Does Peter really love her? If he did, he wouldn't have asked that no-good wannabe plastic doll to prom. But, she did blow up pretty badly in his face; which, in her opinion, he deserved. Her mind remains at war, conflicting thoughts counteracting her rational ones until it resulted in a pounding migraine. She sighs, her hand swiping across her face stressfully, "what am I supposed to do, Ned?"

"I have a plan. Come to the prom as my plus one, we'll play it off as you really wanting to be my date, but you'll actually be there to win back Peter." Offers the raven haired boy.

Rowan narrows her eyes suspiciously, "you'd do that.. for me?"

"Of course." The Asian boy smiles subtly, "I know how much you two mean to each other, I won't let your guys' stupidity get in the way of true, eternal love."