chapter 13

I woke up slowly, hearing birds tweeting outside and the quiet sound of a clock ticking. I opened my eyes gradually, seeing sunlight stream through the sitting room windows and I turned on the sofa, realising that I was now alone.

“Jay?” I called out, sitting up and wrapping the blanket that was on me tighter around my naked form. I looked down to the coffee table and saw a small note, hand written.

Good morning beautiful,

Me and the boys had to go to the studio so you’re on your own this morning. I was going to wake you but you just looked so peaceful :) I’ll be back at lunch to see you hopefully, if not I’ll call, oh and Tom cooked you some breakfast, it’s on the grill.

Jay xxxxx

I smiled genuinely, it was the first time I’d woken up like this, with a sweet little note. Because of the career choice I’d taken, or been forced into, I hadn’t had a chance to ever do this kind of thing. To stay up watching Twilight with the perfect guy, to wake up naked the next morning on his sofa. I’d never done it before but I loved it.

I stood up and grabbed my underwear from the floor, slipping it back on and dropping the blanket onto the sofa. I looked around for my clothes but couldn’t find them anywhere. Where the hell had Jay put them? I laughed slightly to myself before wandering through the villa, towards the kitchen.

When I got in there, surely enough, under the grill was a frying pan with a lid on it.

“Thanks Tom.” I said to myself out loud. I walked over and pulled the pan out, putting it onto the hob before grabbing a plate from the draining board. Just as I was about to take the lid from the pan, I heard a floor board creaking upstairs and I froze instantly. My hand diverted from the pan, slowly over to the knife block and I pulled a small one out silently.

“Guys?” I called out, to see if one of them had come home. “Is anyone there?” I called out again but was greeted with silence again. Something wasn’t right here. I looked around the kitchen but didn’t dare leave in case someone was in the hall, I was completely defenceless. I suddenly looked down to my hand and saw the knife. Maybe I wasn’t so defenceless after all.

I turned back towards the knife block, immediately hearing gun shots and the floor to ceiling windows in the kitchen shattered.

“Shit.” I cursed, pulling the entire knife block to the floor with me as I crouched behind the breakfast bar.

“Really?!” I shouted out to whoever was here. “Could you not have come when I was fully dressed or something?!” I heard some muffled laughter so I pulled another small vegetable knife from the block. I completely silenced myself and heard footsteps coming towards me. I was cornered.

“Yolo.” I breathed, jumping up and turning to see three men in the room. “Morning!” I sang, throwing both knives by the blades and seeing them glide through the air before sticking straight into two of the guys’ chests. More bullets came my way from the third guy but I’d already ducked down and picked up a slightly bigger knife.

“Looking good in your underwear Skai.” A voice said and I shook my head.

“You should have seen me first thing this morning.” I taunted from behind the counter. “You really missed out on that one.” I sprang back up and threw the knife, landing it straight in his chest too. He fell to the floor, joining the others and I sighed, leaning against the counter. The three of them lay lifeless on the kitchen floor and I rolled my eyes.

“I don’t need this…” I sighed, walking over to them and taking the knives out of them, getting blood all over my hands and the floor. “I’m getting in so much shit about this.” I said, putting the knives into the sink to clean them off but I soon heard more footsteps upstairs.