1| Screw You, Shakespeare

THE mass of clothes covering my entire bedroom floor was beyond excessive

THE mass of clothes covering my entire bedroom floor was beyond excessive. And my room wasn't small, either. In my family's exclusive New York City penthouse suite on Fifth Avenue, my room was about 450 square feet. For reference, if you own a 500 square foot home, you can still manage to have a separate kitchen and dining room, a living room, a bedroom, and a bathroom. I think there were approximately 10 square feet of my massive room not covered in clothes that my mother had taken from my closet and thrown all over the floor.

And if you think I'm a spoiled brat for saying "exclusive New York City penthouse suite," I'm not. My parents are just filthy rich and when you learn more about them and their eccentricities, it'll all make sense.

Anyway, right now I was on my bed sitting cross-legged and writing in my daily journal.

What were the signs in your dream last night? Was the journal prompt I was currently on.

I wrote "PASS" in all-caps only because I was trying to wipe last night's dream from my memory. It wasn't a nightmare or anything. It was just weird and had a lot to do with my parent's ongoing feud with the Montgomery family. But, I mean, we'll get to discuss that later.

For now, I closed my journal and pushed my glasses up the bridge of my nose, as they were falling down. My eyes landed on my mother who was haphazardly digging through the mess she had created. Every so often, her eyes lit up and she grabbed a shirt or a pair of pants or a dress that she liked and threw it onto my bed where my second suitcase sat half full.

I tried to insist that I could pack for college on my own. Besides, I didn't actually leave for Syracuse University for another 2 days. It felt like she was in a rush to get rid of me. But I knew that wasn't the truth at all. If anything, she was in a rush to shove me off into the world of Syracuse and Alpha Chi, the sorority that, unfortunately for me, was incredibly close to my mother's heart.

Storytime:

Once upon a time, my mother Michelle attended Syracuse University and joined the biggest sorority on campus, Alpha Chi. She was your typical sorority girl cliché. Gorgeous, obsessed with parties and boys, hoping to be voted as the president of the sorority and fighting for popularity in the new world of college life. My mother (and just to let you know, these are her exact words) was "the most beautiful girl to join Alpha Chi ever". As you can tell, she's very humble. But despite her beauty, that didn't make her qualified to be the president of the entire sorority, even though that was what her heart was set on. She was a competitive woman with dreams to be the girl who every other sorority girl looked up to.

Unfortunately for Michelle, she lost the race for the presidency. And she lost to a woman named Stacy. Her arch-nemesis and now wife to Theodore Montgomery II, who, back then, used to date my mother.

Their background is a little bit complicated, but I'll sum it up into this:

Michelle lost the race to Stacy and, at the time, was still dating Theodore Montgomery II. Theodore was the president of the biggest fraternity on campus, Lamda Xi, and the hottest and most eligible bachelor. Not to mention, he was next in line to inherit his family's advertising company: Montgomery Squared, or MG2, one of the top 2 advertising companies in New York, making him extremely wealthy. Michelle wanted nothing more than to marry into Theodore's family, to become wealthy herself, and to become a part of his upper class, high societal lifestyle.