Joe Mazzello - The New York Dilemma

Hey:) i know lots of you want part 3 of 'you don't get me' but i like to have other stories inbetween series chapters for people new to the book to get a range. hope you all understand!

-

The worst day of the whole bloody year had just hit you like a freight train.

Work was stressful this time of year. You worked a 9 to 5 job at a tax company and it was currently going bankrupt, ironic but terrifying. At least you could go home to your boyfriend at the end of it all. The person that made you smile just by being around. The funniest man you'd ever met who just couldn't be serious. Though Joe had to leave for America soon. He'd asked you to go with him originally, but you didn't want to risk leaving the county for so long while your job was in such a delicate state. So you'd be apart for 4 months. Sad situation but you'd done it before and all was well. The world decided to throw another middle finger at you and open the heavens with a vigorous rain.

When you'd finally got into the apartment you had to peel your wet coat off and slip the soggy shoes away before you could trail muddy water into the living room. You'd reached your destination and saw Joe standing at the other side of the room, if you weren't preoccupied with shaking off the rain you'd have been concerned by his loitering.

"Jheez. The day I have just had-"

"(Y/N), we need to talk," That serious tone was more frightening then the constant threat of losing your job when you were at work. "I- well... things are tense right now. What with your job and my career. And- I just don't want to get to a point in our relationship where we resent each other for holding us back. Us, separately," You frown. First of all because of the way he'd said your job and his career. As if your work meant any less. But also because he was ending things. You couldn't beat around the bush to save your own feelings, it was obvious. And now he was just  giving every excuse under the sun to do so. "I have to go back to America in few days and I don't want you to- I just think it's right for us to separate. I'm sorry. I've been thinking about this for a while and I can't find another solution."

He did sound genuinely apologetic. But of course, you were hurt. After being with Joe for a couple of years you trusted him not to hurt you but you couldn't ask him to stay if he wasn't happy. At least he had the dignity to tell you in person instead of when he was halfway across the world. It would be easier for him that way.

"Alright." You managed.

"(Y/N)-"

"No, I get it. Seriously, I do. You need to do what makes you happy and if I can't be that then you should... Find it somewhere else." You trail off and wipe a tear from your face which merged with the rain water that still soaked you.

Joe shook his head lightly.

"It's not that... I really love you but... I don't know. Don't you ever think we would be better with people that live similar lifestyles to us? I mean, we're so different!"

Now he was just digging himself into a hole. Your jobs were different and therefore your lifestyles were too but there was nothing in your characters that made you incompatible. He was looking for a way out, that was obvious. Joe felt unfulfilled in this relationship and he wanted out. He just didn't know how.

"Joe, I get it-"

"I think our jobs just got in the way and-"

"Please, stop talking, please. I don't want to hear all the things that made you fall out of love with me. I don't need to hear about all the other relationships you want. You can stop talking now. I understand. It's done." You snap, crying as you speak.