John Deacon - Good Luck

You'd known John Deacon for a good few years. He was your best friend. You believed in each other and that was enough. For him anyway. You'd always wanted more than that but there was no point confessing your unrequited love because that's what it was; unrequited. On top of him being extremely lovely and clever, John was talented. Hardly anyone knew this but his talent was undeniable on the bass guitar. He'd never had much confidence but he loved playing, so much so that he completely forgot his nerves when he started. It was just him and the instrument; no one to impress, no one to critique, no one to judge. Until now.

You were trying your damnedest to twist the lid off your Pepsi bottle as you and John waited for him to go into this audition. When he'd first asked you to go with him, you weren't sure how to react because you knew nothing about bass. But here you were, to support him if nothing else.

"Can't you come in with me?" John asked, taking your bottle from your struggling hands and opening it before taking a drink.

You snatched it back and frowned at him.

"What am I, your Mum? No. You'll be fine, you know. I promise. If you can do anything, you can do this. It's what you're good at."

"Yeah. You're right. But there's probably people way better than I am."

"I've yet to meet anyone as brilliant as you." You tell him, perfectly honestly. There was no better way to give him some confidence than to remind him that you thought he was great. Your good opinion mattered more to him than most things in life and vice versa.

John smiled, his eyes scrunching up as they usually did.

-

"John?"

You were the last two waiting when a man, a bit older than you and John, poked his head around the door. He had long black hair and wore black eyeliner.

"Yeah, that's me. Um, hi," John stood and turned to you, holding onto his bass for dear life. "Wish me luck."

"Oh please. I'm all the luck you need." You smirked, kissing him on the cheek and gently pushing him to the door.

-

About 20 minuets passed and the door finally opened again.

"They really like me. I did it. (Y/N), I think I'm in a band!" He whisper-yelled. You jumped up and wrapped your arms around him.

"I knew you would!"

"They- uh want me to go to the pub with them and talk about stuff and uh music stuff." He kept smiling.

You were about to answer and tell him to go when you were interrupted.

"Well, you are the most darling little thing I have ever see!" The man from early walked through the door that John had entered through.

He was taller than you and John, probably due to the massive platform boots that he wore. The whole outfit he adorned told you that he was in the band. The man was glamorous and bold and brought excitement into the already excitable conversation you were having.

"Oh, thank you." You smiled, a little shyly.

"I'm Freddie. Frontman. Pleasure to meet you."

"(Y/N), it's lovely to meet you too." You offered your hand to the man who took it, a bright smile on your pale face.

"Oh you're so charming. Boys! Boys come here and meet (Y/N), she is so adorable."

You laughed a little, glad that you'd managed to make a good impression on John's new band mate by doing so very little.