Chapter 25

Christine and Silvia made it back right before sunrise and the camp was quiet. Christine was exhausted, despite having ridden Bane's back the entire way. She wanted to walk to stretch out but Silvia wouldn't let her.

"After about a week your ankle should be fine but your ACL needs a few weeks to fully recover," Silvia said, leading Bane to Christine's cabin.

Christine scowled. "That's ridiculous. I feel fine. I don't need a few weeks to recover."

Silvia just rolled her eyes. "You may have gifts but you're not immune to injuries and you've got to give them time to properly heal."

Silvia helped her off Bane's back and into her bed.

"But—"

"No buts or I'll sick Raquel on you," she threatened.

She scoffed and was annoyed when she couldn't cross her arms. "I'm not afraid of her."

"Bullshit," she said and Christine didn't argue.

After she left, Christine hobbled over to the bathroom. It had been way too long since she'd showered and she could feel the grease and dirt all over. When she was on the run, she'd gone a long time without showering but she had gotten used to the luxury since being here. She sat down on the covered toilet seat and stared at the shower. She had a bunch of casts on and didn't know whether she should or could take them off or how she was supposed to shower with them. Silvia had left the notes Layla had written about her injuries. Maybe there were directions on what to do.

Using her gifts, she made a root wrap around the papers and bring them over to her. The effort made her mouth feel with blood. She swallowed it and tried not to think about what that could mean in the long run. Hopefully, once she regained her strength back, her power strength will return as well. She scanned the papers and it said she could shower with the casts but Layla recommended that she have someone help her shower since due to her stitches, she couldn't bathe for about two weeks.

There was a knock on her door before she heard it open. "Christine?" A voice called and she felt her heart swell.

Damien poked his head around the corner and his eyes widened when he saw her. "Holy shit," he said and Christine blushed. "Is that really you, Christine?"

"It doesn't look that bad, does it?" She said, pulling self-consciously on her hair.

"I never said it looks bad," he said, coming into the room. "It's just different. Very different." He looked at her more closely. "Are you wearing makeup?"

Christine huffed. "Doesn't matter. I'm going to wash it off anyway and pull this damn metal out of my face. So, don't get used to it, Goldilocks."

"It's definitely you, sunshine." Damien grinned, plopping down on the floor in front of her. "What happened, anyway? I passed out and next thing I know, I'm back at camp. How'd you get away?"