Chapter 15

Christine had never liked running. It was something that she had to do to survive but she never thought that she'd do it if she wasn't running for her life. Raquel had suggested it to gain more muscle in her legs. So, she got up early and took a run around the camp before anyone else was awake. At least, that's what she thought. She was so lost in thought that she nearly ran over another girl rounding the corner. She twisted out of the way so fast that she tripped over her own feet and fell to the ground.

"Oh my god! I'm so sorry," the girl said, helping Christine to her feet.

She looked at the girl and was stunned by how gorgeous she was. Her skin was the color of caramel, her eyes a deep brown and her long, dark hair was braided down her back. She was only wearing a sports bra and shorts, showing off her hourglass figure and her thick lips were pulled up in a friendly smile. Christine felt like an insect. Her black hair was pulled into a ponytail and she was wearing one of Damien's oversized shirts that he left in his old cabin and a pair of leggings. Her cheeks were pink and sweat cascaded down her neck. The girl didn't even look like she had broken a sweat.

"It's fine. I wasn't watching where I was going," Christine said, trying to step past her.

"I'm Silvia, by the way," the girl said, smiling.

"Christine."

Her smile widened. "I was hoping I would be able to meet you soon. I just got here a few days ago and I've already heard so much about you, mostly from Damien—"

"You know Damien?" She asked, her voice coming out more like a squeak, making her flinch.

Silvia nodded. "Yeah, we go way back. We were neighbors before my family had to go on the run. He actually helped me and my family escape the Raiders."

"How long have you been hiding?"

"Almost a year now, but from what I've heard we won't have to hide for long," she smiled at her.

Christine didn't like the hope in her eyes. The weight of more people counting on her. She cleared her throat. "Right, well, I should get going. Got to finish my run."

"You mind if I join you? I hate running alone and Damien bailed on me this morning."

She wanted to come up with an excuse but couldn't think of one that didn't make her look like a bitch. All she could think about was how Silvia and Damien would make a perfect couple due to the fact that they were both gorgeous and don't have freaky abilities. She chided herself. She didn't have the right to be petty. She had been the one to step away from Damien the other day. Even though she still couldn't believe that he would like someone like her. They were becoming friends and that was it. With someone like Silvia in his life, why would he give her a second glance?

"Yeah, sure," Christine said.

They took a few more laps around the camp, Silvia talking the entire time. She somehow managed not to sound out of breath as she talked. Christine's chest was heaving the entire time just trying to keep up with her pace.