Chapter 13

When Christine got the okay from Damien a few days later, she started training again. Raquel wanted to teach her how to fight someone armed and some techniques to disarm.

"You've got to redirect the barrel of the gun away from you," Raquel said, pointing a gun at Christine. "Grab the barrel and move it before hitting their wrist to get control of the gun. Use one hand to move the barrel and the other to push the wrist away."

Christine did that, gaining control of the gun easily.

"Sometimes they won't be that close. In that case, use your surroundings as cover until you can get closer. In your case, you can resort to your gifts for extra cover and get the gun out of their hands that way. But this is a good technique to fall back on."

"And if they're holding the gun with both hands?"

Raquel handed her the gun. "I'll show you."

Christine took ahold of the gun and held it with both hands. Raquel grabbed the barrel, pulled it to the side then forward. Christine stumbled and Raquel's knee met her gut. She dropped the gun and doubled over.

"I find that way most effective. That way you have both hands to keep the gun away and it's a good way to disorient an opponent."

They continued on for a few hours. Raquel showed her more techniques and they practiced them until it was time for lunch.

"Do you think I'll be ready in time?" Christine asked as they descended the stairs into the hideout.

"I think you've made a lot of progress," she started. "You're not nearly as strong as you could be but with the skills that you have now, this battle won't be hard. It's a small camp that we'll be infiltrating. We'll get you in and once you've captured the captains then the rest of the camp will follow suit. Once everyone gets a load of the powers you possess, no one will want to fight you."

"Once we capture the captains you think everyone will just stop fighting?"

"Not everyone but we'll deal with those that won't surrender."

"And the army? What will they be doing?"

"Providing backup as well as being a symbol of our strength. Once we've got the captains then you show the rest of the camp the army that backs you up. Ned has figured out a way to hack into the public newscast system and will be filming your message."

"My message? You want me to give a speech?" Christine asked, unease gnawing at her gut.

"Yes, don't worry, it's something that Damien will work with you on."

"And what are we going to do with those that surrender?"

"Keep them there. These camps are full of kids as young as twelve. We'll leave a group of our men to watch over them and keep training them until we need them."