[AHWM|Yancy x Reader] Coming Home

Start from the beginning

Elena opened the back door for Yancy, ushering him in and jumping in beside him, pulling the door shut as Y/n climbed in. The engine roared to life as they took off, back towards their house. Yancy marveled at the scenery along the road, gasping as he spotted a small bunny, pointing it out to Elena who squealed loudly in response, desperately trying to catch a glimpse. They spent the ride home looking for all the different bunnies they could find, turning it into a game of sorts. Elena won by a long shot, but Yancy was just happy to see them.

He gazed around in awe as they stepped into the hallway. Y/n lead him over to the couch, where Elena patted the spot next to her, placing a pillow against his leg and laying her head on it. He placed a gentle hand on her head, running his fingers through her hair. She grinned, holding his hand as she switched on a cartoon, both of them quickly becoming enraptured in it.

"Lunch in 20, guys." Y/n called from her spot on her armchair, curled up as she ordered various food that she thought Yancy might enjoy. When it finally arrived, Y/n hauled the giant bag through to the kitchen table, starting to set the food out as she heard the cartoons credits roll. Yancy audibly groaned.

"What? They can't just leave it there! Come on, we gotta watch the next one! Please?"

"Cliffhanger! And we can watch more later, I wanna show you my room after lunch!" Elena replied, happily booping his nose. He grinned, pulling her into a piggyback and barreling into the room. Y/n laughed happily as he bent down so Elena could kiss her mum's cheek, then placed a hearty smooch on her forehead.

"Sit down, grab what you want. Just don't make yourself sick." Yancy let Elena down, smiling ear to ear as she immediately began piling chicken nuggets onto her plate, dropping a few on his as well.

"For protein!" She exclaimed, with a mouthful of chicken. Yancy gingerly picked up a nugget, taking a small bite of it before gobbling down half a dozen within the second. "Hey, you're gonna eat all my nuggets!" Elena cried, smacking Yancy's arm playfully. Y/n simply watched in amusement as he went over the table, trying one of everything. Sometimes his eyes would light up, other times his tongue would fly out as he snatched up the nearest Pepsi to get rid of the taste. Y/n watched all of this, Elena pointing out the best food and Yancy thoughtfully trying each one, with a slight smile playing on her lips.

When lunch was finally over, Elena looked over to her mum. "Can I take Yancy to see my bedroom, Mumma?"

"Of course, you can, sweetheart, once you've put your dishes away." She groaned but didn't argue, showing Yancy where everything was as she put her placemat away and popped her dishes in the dishwasher. Yancy followed exactly, taking Y/n's dishes as well, while she packed any leftovers onto a plate and got rid of the rubbish. Elena hopped up on one foot, jumping on the spot. "Now can we go?" Y/n smiled.

"Yea, you can go now." Elena cheered, pulling Yancy down the hall, Y/n hot on their heels as he was pulled into her room.

"Ta da!" Elena exclaimed, flopping onto her bed, canopy fluttering around her as she grabbed the large dragon plushie from behind her and hugged it tight.

"That's a cool dragon, kiddo. Where'd you get it?" Yancy asked, smiling softly as he wiggled his toes in the soft mat. Elena smiled, sitting cross-legged on the edge as she held it out to him. Yancy carefully sat next to her, gingerly holding the dragon in the crook of his arm as she patted it's head.

"Uncle Mark gave it to me! He's an angel now, so he's very busy. But I wish he'd come back and see us... I really miss him." Her crooked smile faded into obscurity as Yancy put an arm around her, holding her tight as she sniffled.

"H-Hey, it's alright, kiddo. Don't cry, it's gonna be ok." He shushed her, running his hand through her hair as she climbed into his lap. He cradled her in his arms, rubbing her back as she hiccupped, calming her down as he looked up at Y/n, who was standing in the doorway, unshed tears shining in her eyes.

"Come here, doll." He smiled gently, holding his arm out for her. She half-chuckled as she took up the space next to him, leaning into his warmth as he wrapped his free arm around her waist, the dragon now clutched in Elena's small hands. Yancy placed a slow, quiet kiss to Y/n's temple, smiling as she nuzzled into his neck.

They sat in silence for a few minutes until they heard quiet snoring from Yancy's lap. Y/n gazed over to the small child, still curled against him, now sleeping soundly. Yancy smiled fondly, placing a gentle peck to Elena's head as he shifted to make her more comfortable. "Seems like she likes you, anyway." Y/n whispered against his ear, pulling out her phone and reluctantly extracting herself from Yancy's hold. "Smile!" She grinned, taking a picture before he could react. She shook her head, laughing softly as she moved back to Yancy's side. "Let me help you out there, Yance." She placed her hands under Elena's arms, making to pick her up, but was stopped by Elena clutching onto his shirt for dear life, whimpering. She backed up, Elena instantly calming again as she snuggled back into Yancy's chest. Yancy carefully moved to sit back against the mountain of pillows at the end of the bed, sinking into them, arms still tight around Elena's small frame.

"Looks like, uh, I'm gonna be stuck here for a little while." He looked up, smiling softly. Y/n's heart melted. Jesus, this man. Couldn't have picked a better bloke to fall for.

"D'ya need anything, Yance?" She asked, placing a hand on his head. He shook his head, yawning widely.

"I'm just gonna sit with the kid for a while, ok?" Y/n nodded, pulling the door slightly closed as Yancy lay his head on the small girl's, drifting to sleep.