Chapter 9. Caught

POV: Tango Tek
Location: The Nether

"Apparently Xisuma's group found what we came here for. They sent the coordinates." Zed said, looking at his communicator. I turned the corner, seeing a few demons there.

"This place is like a maze." I say, slamming the demons against the wall. "We can't go straight."

"You think we didn't notice?" Impulse said, smirking as he picked up a healing potion. I rolled my eyes as I started walking again. I heard Impulse jog to catch up with Zed and I. Our diamond armor we wore clanked ever so slightly. The diamond sword I held was bloodless since I had magic in this realm, but I used it to channel my magic so it's easier to control. (And yes, players and mobs bleed, but we usually die before it could get to bad.)

"Oh no, I knew you knew, I just wanted to make sure you didn't forget. Ahem." I say, approaching a four-way intersection type of hall. We could either go left, right, or straight. At the last moment, we decided to go right because that would bring us closer to the coordinates that were sent.

"I don't forget things that often." Impulse muttered. Zed snickered, shaking his head. I roll my eyes again.

As I turned the corner, I got a sudden sinking feeling in my stomach. I look at the other two, who also looked hesitant.

"You guys feel that also?" I said as out pace slowed down. We walked slowly and cautiously.

"Yeah, Tango. What'd you reckon it is?" Impulse whispered. I shrugged, walking as quietly as I could. Zed looked behind us, flinching back in terror. Before Impulse and I could to anything, a voice made me freeze.

"What did I say, Tango? You cannot escape your fate." A soft voice said from behind us. Both Impulse and I slowly turn around. Much to all of our horror, Herobrine was there, leaning against the wall with his hands tucked behind his back. We were prodded in our backs with spears, forcing us closer to Herobrine. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw that demons held the weapons. I growl sounded from the back of my throat.

"Oh, Tango. You know who I am, and what I do..." Herobrine's eyebrows curved upwards, portraying a pitying expression. I try and push him back with my magic, but a slice to my back stopped me. Thank God I had diamond armor on, or that strike would have killed me because it was so close.

"Tsk, do you really think you could overpower me?" Herobrine said, voice still soft. I tried again, only to be pushed to the ground. Impulse and Zed cried out, but were silenced by getting poked in the back with a sharp weapon. Herobrine approached me, hands still behind his back. He bent down to my level.

"You know what I'm going to do, don't you?" He whispered in my ear. I hissed, leaning away from the man. He smirked, standing straight up again.

"To the main room. Now." He commanded his guards. I was dragged upright, a sword digging in the back of my neck. They put our hands behind our backs, tying them with ropes.

We must have walked for at least five minutes before we arrived at a set of large double doors. Herobrine pushed those huge doors open, revealing an enormous throne room. Lava flowed down in neat columns and fire cackled in the posts. It was well lit, unlike the throne room in the Watcher's Lair.

The carpet was red and white, and it led to the throne in the center back of the room. Many demons and perma-dead players stood guard around the few doors that entered and exited the room.

He didn't sit on the throne. Instead, Herobrine paced back and forth in front of it. My eyes followed him as me passed, watching his every move.

He paused in front of me, looking me straight in the eyes. My heart suddenly started to beat faster and faster, and it felt like it was crawling into my throat.

"I remember what you did, all those years ago." He commented. I glared at him, eyes flashing red. He ignored it, continuing on with his monologue.

"You didn't believe in me." He started pacing again, but this time it was slower.

"But I do know for a fact, that you have seen me before." I paled, knowing exactly what he was talking about. He chuckled, passing me again.

"It was when your friend almost fell into the lava. You caught him by his foot, and pulled him back up. It was impressive, I must say. I have never seen anyone do that before. Especially when that friend was twice your size."

"What does this have to do with anything?" I asked, trying to get the bods off my hands. The demon tried to stop me, but Herobrine held his hand up. His eyes flashed in amusement.

"Let him." He said. He started walking back and forth again. "Anyway, I was greatly confused when you said you didn't believe in me. I know you say me that day you held your poor friend over the body of lava, pulling him up and saving him. You know you couldn't have done that without my help."

"You didn't even do anything." I reply, breaking the bonds (somehow). Herobrine snapped his head to me, as he was facing the wall. He glared.

"I helped you pull him up. That white flash when you almost dropped him? That was me." He hissed. I narrow my eyes at him.

"It wasn't you."

"But you don't deny I wasn't there." He stated. It was not a question. I stayed silent. Zed and Impulse stood silently on the side, but that wouldn't last long.

Herobrine grabbed Impulse by his neck, dragging him over. Impulse choked, stumbling forward. Zed and I cried out, but Herobrine ignored us.

"I take you silence as a yes." He smirked, looking at the Hermit he was holding. He looked over at Zedaph, then back at me.

"You know how I hurt people, usually. Right, Tango?" I paled, as I knew where he was going with this.

"Y-you harm the c-closest people to them-"

"Correct." He said, not waiting for me to finish my sentence. His eyes gleamed with a victorious look.

"I'll be sure to enjoy every single moment." He said. I looked away as Impulse screamed in pain.

(1078 words)