Chapter 5. Confession

POV: ImpulseSV
Location: Hermitcraft

Tango only grins like that when he is up to something, or knows something that he shouldn't. It's not often I see that expression on his face, even though Zed and I spend a lot of our time with him. Yes, he has an excited and quite hyper personality, but moments like this are rare for him lately since he's been busy with other activities.

"I know what you're thinking of, X, but you know that'll take time, right?" Tango asked. Xisuma nodded his head, smiling. Everyone else, including me, were confused.

"What are you two talking about?" Asked Iskall turning to Tango. Tango shook his head.

"We'll say later when that time gets there, okay?" He responded. I quietly sigh. Tango never reveals his secrets until the time is right, like most people. We won't be getting anything out of him anytime soon.

"We'll need time to prepare for. It may take a few days, so don't expect to be going on any adventures soon." Xisuma said. Every Hermit nodded. Xisuma and Grian started a quiet conversation, as did a few other people. Some other Hermits left the area, flying away with their elytras. I turned to Zed. We made a silent agreement to leave the area.

As I turned to fly away, I felt a hand on my shoulder stopping me from turning more.

"Hey, actually, can we talk? In private?" Tango asked quietly. Zedaph and I looked at each other, then back at him. We both nod. The three of us walked into a shop, closing the door behind us.

"Is this bad, or..." I start. Tango looked to the side and hugged himself. Zed and I look at each other with concern.

"Depends on how you look at it. I've only told this to X, and I'm slightly scared because I don't know what your reactions well be." He finally answered.

"We... we won't judge. We promise." Zedaph said not unkindly. Tango nodded, taking a large breath.

"I... I think it's finally time for me to say why... uh, I'm not in the Nether."

"So you didn't leave on your own?" I asked. He shook his head, yellow hair flopping on his head.

"I was actually kicked out... augh, how did I tell Xisuma this without being nervous?" He ran a nervous hand through his hair, closing his red eyes. Zedaph laid a hand on his shoulder and gave an encouraging squeeze. With his other hand, Tango put his hand on top of Zed's.

"Alright, before I refuse to say anything, I'll explain now so I don't second guess myself." He started. Tango sat down on a chair. Zed and I followed, pulling one up from the side. He looked at us with a nervous expression.

"When I was younger, I lived in the Nether. The original. Every single other Nether is a scrambled version. There, we were taught that Herobrine was a god-like being. He has powers the Prime Admins couldn't even begin to dream of. It's a scary thought: Herobrine destroying Minecraft with a few words." Before I could say anything, he kept talking. He probably noticed that I was going to say something.

"However, I didn't really believe in that stuff. They didn't like that, so they kicked me out. The literally threw me through a portal. I landed in water, that stuff freezing me. I had to get used to it... and I did, eventually."

"Why are you telling us this now? Why not later, or something. Not that I don't care..." I added, worried that he'll take the question the wrong way. Tango chuckled, and Zedaph gave a sight smile.

"Xisuma asked that. I'm telling you two this because... well, tell me, how would you feel if someone didn't believe you existed when everyone else did?"

"Um... confused and maybe mad?" Zed said. Tango nodded with a somber expression.

"How do you think Herobrine feels if one of his 'people' who should worship him, didn't, and refused to believe in him?" My eyes widen, connecting the dots.

"He'll want revenge." I say. Tango nodded again.

"From the stories I heard, Herobrine's method of... revenge and/or torture... is not just on the person. He destroys everything that they care for." He hesitantly paused. "Including people."

"Tango, we'll be fine-"

"No, Impulse, you won't! This is Herobrine we're talking about! He won't care about hurting feelings! He gets what he wants! If he wants to hurt me, he'll hurt you! That's what he said to me earlier!" He cried out loudly. Tears formed in his eyes, but didn't fall. I narrowed my eyes.

"What did he say exactly?"

"He said, 'I remember who you are. I remember what you did. I know you know how I get my revenge. All those stories and myths were true. Pick the right decision, Tango Tek.' I don't want anything to happen to you two. In fact, I don't want anything to happen to anything/anyone Hermitcraft related! I am basically a moving target! He'll go for me first if we refuse his offer." He slumped in the chair he was sitting in.

"Tango... I promise, we won't let anything happen to us, or you. We'll make it through this, we promise." Zedaph said, voice sounding broken.

"Zed, don't make promises you can't keep." Tango replied, sadly. I sighed, knowing there was nothing we could do about it. Tango looked at us again.

"Promise me one thing, you two. Whatever happens to me, you won't do anything to stop it."

"What are you going on about?" I asked, confused.

"The only way for you guys and Hermitcraft in general to be safe is if I surrender myself-"

"No Tango! That isn't going to happen!" Zed yelled. Tango put a hand up, stopping Zed from saying anything else.

"If you insist, but if anything happens, don't... don't do anything stupid. Please. That's all I'm asking."

"Fine, Tango." Zed resigned. I nodded after Zedaph said that.

"Is there anything we can do to stop Herobrine? Any hope we can have, or is that too much to ask for?" I say quietly. Tango hesitantly dipped his head once. His somber mood seems to have gone away for a moment, replaced with an excited mood.

"Yes... in the original Nether, someone is locked up. Don't know why, how, and when they were trapped, but they did get trapped."

"Who?" Zed questioned.

"You'll see when we get there." I froze, looking at him in disbelief.

"We're going there?" I yelled. Then, more quietly I say, "Why on Earth would we go there?"

"The person who is locked up in the Nether is the only person who can stop Herobrine."

"Come on, Tango, just tell us already!" Zedaph whined. Tango chuckled, giving in to Zed's nagging. He smirked, red eyes flashing with excitement.

"Why, it's Notch, of course."

(1106 words)