19: Life as the birthday boy

Wane

"Wane are you paying attention? This is important information and if you keep that attitude up I won't think twice about handing the Alpha position to Rubin or Bleu, this is no joke son."

My father fixated his eyes on me while I struggled to keep mine open. The past month had been filled with nothing but stress. Lecture this, do that, I hadn't had time to myself and it showed.

I ran a hand down my face, trying to rub the tiredness away, "I'm listening."

"Really?" He frowned, watching my every move, "then what strategy do you use when there's a pack conflict over small matters such as land?" He asked, knowing full well that the past ten minutes of the lesson my mind had drifted away from legal matters of the pack.

I leant back in the office chair, rubbing my cranium to hopefully aid brain flow.

"Um, with the use of previous ancestors and family backtracking?" I tried to keep the guessing out of my tone but from the slanting of his eyes, I knew I had failed.

"Wrong. You use contracts Wane, how many times do I need to tell you for you to understand?!" He crossed his arms over his chest, clearly unimpressed with his firstborn son. I kept the disappointment from seeping into my expression as he shouted at me, I was too tired for this crap. "This is easy stuff, you could even consider this basic."

He sighed, "just go, you're clearly not taking this as seriously as you should be. Get your shit together and stop acting like a girl before I seriously consider a replacement for your position or send you away so you actually learn what you're supposed to."

Without being told twice I left my fathers' office, half dragging my weary body out. My wolf was frustrated at me and wanted to blow off steam with a run but I had other ideas; my bed. Trudging up the stairs I came to my bedroom door. The familiar scent of coffee filled the air and I knew I wasn't getting the sleep I wanted. Instead, this guy was getting laid. Opening the door, and confirming my suspicions, a half naked Bianca lay in a see-through getup.

"Hey sweetie, wanna continue where we left off?"

I didn't have the time or patience for girls, whiney, pathetic creatures that threw themselves at anything with money and power. And while weak girls with loose morals were not my cup of tea, it wouldn't stop me from getting my fair share of them. They were good for one thing and one thing only- for lying on their backs and my mother was a clear example of that. My parents urged me to settle down and find a mate as soon as I could to try to kerb my recent 'hobbies' but I didn't need a scrawny female to help run my pack. In fact, that was at the bottom of my to-do list.

I knew that if my mate was a wolf that lacked standing or strength then I'd reject her, easily

My wolf stirred and whined. You will not reject our mate!

Just watch me you soft wolf. We are the future of the pack and will not be whipped by some she-wolf.

He growled, stupid human if you ruin everything with our mate you'll regret it, I'll make you regret it.

Try me. I huff and tune the mutt out. Already in love with the idea of a perfect soulmate. Bullshit. Total shit.

To prove a point to my wolf I returned a wolfish grin to Bianca, knowing the wild night that lay before me.

~~~~~~

Lounging in my sweats and vest top flicking through the endless channels on the TV was barely keeping my mind off the fact that my birthday tomorrow could ruin everything for me. The unlikely fact that my mate could be in this pack terrified me in words that I couldn't describe, and my father pushing and pushing me to memorise strategies, battle plans and accounts was draining me. But one thing was certain, I would not let my plans be ruined by an idiotic thing as a 'mate bond', my wolf and I didn't need anybody but ourselves.