28: Life crowded by testosterone

Days past and I was straight out of bed as soon as I felt like I had given myself enough to recuperate.

Nancy had insisted that I should stay longer but I blank out refused. The pack needed to realise that I wasn't leaving, after seeing me very much alive upon my return the shocked faces still made my wolf and I smug. We were just as competent as the previous Alpha, and any other Alpha worldwide but I'm sure most got the memo after my defeat of the Red Sky Alpha. Especially when mates were found among the other pack.

"Alpha." The group of teenagers bowed their heads as they walked by, which I returned with a sharp nod.

My wolf growled in satisfaction. I was slowly but surely earning the respect that was long due in this pack. I made my way towards the open plan kitchen, intent on making a snack before tackling the work sitting on my desk.

The sweet scent of honey, toast and bacon filled the morning air and my stomach couldn't help but let out a discontented rumble. The soup Nancy had brought me in the hospital was okay, but my wolf was craving something more substantial- meat and a hunt.

Walking into the room conversations still flowed and the majority of the room bared their necks, apart from some of the brooding males, elders, Tobias; who greeted me with a nasty glare which I gladly returned and new packmates which I had yet to initiate to the pack.

My eyes flickered while my wolf bared her teeth, establishing dominance by thrusting our power into the room. Wolves quickly exposed their necks, if so begrudgingly. They needed to learn that I had done more than prove my worth as their Alpha, it was their turn to show me respect.

Immediately and almost instinctual, my eyes flicker to Grey and Shane, who were seated beside my biggest fan club whose primary members were Tobias, Wynter and Nathan. While getting ignored by the three, my gaze locked onto Grey's whose shone with some deep emotion which caused his eyes to swirl. Ever since the fight, his scent of spring water and sandalwood lingered in my hospital room, telling me he had visited me when I was out from medication, yet he hadn't approached me. Hadn't said or explained what was going through his mind at the fight days prior. And by God, if he thought I wasn't going to ask then I'd need to hit him over the head to knock some sense into him.

The bastards face kept blank but his eyes gave it all away. Noticing our exchange Shane sent me a suggestive smile, raising his eyebrows. I gave him a dirty look before the tremor in my stomach told me I needed food, pronto.

Violet and a few other females which I recognised from Ceilia's underground fight club were fussing over the hob, preparing a multitude of foods while the men sat at various tables. Violet noticed me and gave me a plate filled with bacon, toast, beans, egg and sausage. A full English breakfast. She gave me a sly wink, "I knew that you'd be out of bed as soon as you could, surprised that Nancy hasn't had your hide for it though."

"She couldn't stop me, my wolf craved something fulfilling to eat. Soup and crackers weren't cutting it for us."

She nodded at me, understanding my need to hunt and scooped a few extra streaks of bacon on my plate while frowning at the younger wolves who protested, "Eat up then Alpha." I rolled my eyes as her eyes twinkled.

Ceilia waltzed up and gave my plate one look before screwing her face in distaste, "Screw the rogues, you're going to kill her by heart attack with the amount of grease you've put on that."

Violet just scowled at her, "Don't be silly, I'm a good cook even Dane says-"

"And he's saying that because you're his mate. If this room wasn't filled with wolves that were starving for breakfast then they wouldn't eat this. " She bit into a bit of bacon and swallowed it down quickly to prove a point, sending Violet a pointed look, "no offence," as if the statement made a difference to the grimace that had overtaken Violets' face. She just huffed and turned back to the stove, finishing what looked like the third batch of bacon.