2: An insignificant life

"Kacie, wake up. It's okay you're safe now."

I heard a soft whisper calling my name through the darkness and felt a strong pair of hands gently shake my shoulders. They were almost hesitant in touching my body and I heard the person swear as more blood trickled from my temple, leaving a warm mess in its wake. Pain from the night before throbbed through my body and left it somewhat numb. I forced my eyes wide open and took in my surroundings.

Blood. That was the first sight and smell that assaulted my senses. It was everywhere, on my clothes, my bed sheets and my body. While the remnants of bruises and scabs littered my body, prominent red lines stood out against my ghost-like skin. Upon seeing my shredded forearms and wrists I shuddered, my own self harm causing my wolf to growl.

I found my best friend Pierce staring into my eyes, worry clearly evident in his handsome baby like features. He had been my childhood best- and only friend. I genuinely can't remember a time when he hasn't been there for me, even through my mother's death and father's absence- which was an extremely difficult time for me.

We had stuck by each other since I could remember and he was one of the only males I could stand. He wasn't one of those guys that threw his dominance around, he was actually quite the opposite. With his chubby face and large chocolate eyes that always oozed with sincerity and kindness, I'd relate him more to an oversized teddy bear than to a grizzly. He had picked me up countless times and given me company when I had none. I was glad that in this shitty life I had someone like Pierce to confide in – despite his father being on the Alpha's council. But he had never let rank or authority mess with our friendship, and I was forever grateful for him in my life. I knew for a fact that I wouldn't be here right now if it wasn't for Pierce.

He sat beside me on the bed, eying my wrists with obvious disgust. He brought out a first aid box, which resided under my bed. Pierce quickly wrapped my wrists in gauze, turning his head slightly with the presence of blood. You could say he was squeamish, which surprised me with the multiple times he had bandaged me up.

His eyes met mine and disappointment flickered so deeply that I couldn't help but look away, embarrassed with my coping method.

"Kacie how many times have I told you that cutting yourself isn't going to solve anything?" He lectured me in a harsh but soft tone. I knew he was right but he didn't understand, nobody did. This was how I coped, fighting violence with violence.

"Not again Pierce, jeeze I feel like I've been hit by a truck." I tried to force my bruised body upright but struggled significantly, I could feel every gash and broken bone. They ached and screamed in agony, my flesh wounds stretching and ripping open and even with my speedy werewolf healing I had not fully recovered, which said something about how bad the beatings were.

Pierce gave me a look that signalled that the subject would not be dropped but it was not something I ever wanted to discuss, "Pierce please, not now."

He sighed, "Fine but we will talk about this later."

I rolled my eyes and he caught it, "I mean it Kacie, I will not have you self-harming."

"Yes mother. I'm going to have to buy you a frock if you continue to lecture me like a old woman, maybe some old floral print would suit you Pierce." I joked, trying to move my arms to pull myself up off the bed, a failed attempt I may add.

He noticed my bodies complete lack of co-ordination and wrapped one of his muscular arms around my waist and supported me upright, I was unable to hide my face as it contorted in pain. This was one of the less violent beatings I'd taken believe it or not, the worst being sliced with a silver tipped whip along my back, now that hadn't been pretty to say the least. It had been undoubtedly the worst moment of my life and had imprinted scars that would stay with me forever.