XXVI

↱"Treat your men as you would your own beloved sons

"Treat your men as you would your own beloved sons. And they will follow you into the deepest valley."

-Sun Tzu.

where we left off

THE AIR WAS STALE WITH EXPECTATIONS OF THE WORST TO COME, as Katerina flew beside Squad Levi and Squad Hange.

She was proud to say that Squad Hange was acting like a perfectly synched machine, like a flock of birds flying in a perfect formation, dedicated to achieving their goal. There was no fear in their eyes, no hesitation, no remorse. Hange drove her crazy but she could not deny that she led her Squad with an iron fist and had trained them well.

Squad Levi, on the other hand, looked like a fumbling mess. Instead of cool stone cold contemplations, there was panic and agitation. She could see it riddled in Connie's bald little head as puddles of sweat dripped down to his eyes. She could see it in Sasha's incessant biting of her lip, so incessant that blood dripped down her chin. She could see it, only faintly, in Jean's fingers that held his blades with a slight tremble. She could see it in Armin's forehead, his creases getting deeper and deeper.

The only two that didn't hold this terrified look were Mikasa and Eren. Eren had transformed into his Titan, and although it was difficult to decipher Eren's emotions in that form, she knew that Eren held the same thought of revenge. Mikasa, was as fierce as ever, solidly taking Katerina's side and stance on the issues. She felt no remorse for Reiner or Bertholdt or anyone that got in her way. She could see things so much more clearly than the others.

They began fighting off Titans left and right, there weren't many since both gates had been sealed, and they were out of practice and so bloodthirsty for new unsatisfying meat, that their actions were sluggish and uncoordinated.

It had been a while since any of them had battled Titans that weren't intelligent, and after all that, Katerina found it difficult to fear them, the rest of the squad as well.

Eren was having no trouble cutting down the Titans in his path, he had been training his Titan body and was more coordinated and confident than ever. Not just that, but he was always more attentive when he had a goal backed by fury and revenge.

The Squads followed Eren as he ran deeper and faster into Shinganshina, attracting the attention of the Armored Titan who had been running toward the interior gate.

It seemed that the Armored Titan was in on the plan of annihilating the horses, and if the Scouts on the inner wall got in his way, even better.

But when he saw Eren running away from him, he must have panicked, he must have figured that he had to choose between letting Eren go or following through with the original plan.